Author Topic: The Ultimate Nepalese Cookbook (gurkha recipes)  (Read 17882 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Nepalese Cookbook (gurkha recipes)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 10:17 AM »
I do like good Gurkha cuisine, and with at least three Gurkha shops in Ashford (less than a fiver return, with Senior Railcard) getting supplies is easy.  Cranbrooke is also very close, so I may try to collect a book rather than pay GBP 2-00 for postage ! Many thanks for the link.

** Phil.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 11:32 AM »
As a result of your link, I am now attending the Gurkha Gig in Benenden on March 16th.  Are there any other (reasonably local) CR0 members who would like to make up a party ?  Parker21, Axe, ???

** Phil.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 01:22 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 12:07 PM »
I do like good Gurkha cuisine, and with at least three Gurkha shops in Ashford (less than a fiver return, with Senior Railcard) getting supplies is easy.  Cranbrooke is also very close, so I may try to collect a book rather than pay GBP 2-00 for postage ! Many thanks for the link.

** Phil.

You're welcome.
I immediately thought of you Phil and a few other members when i saw these videos. (Gurkha army manual being fresh in the minds)

Frank.  :)

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 03:16 PM »
Is it my imagination, Or did we once have a Gurkha cookbook in the downloads section,
Which I cannot seem to find now.
The Sherpa lamb curry looks good, might give that one a go I think.

Les

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 03:21 PM »
Is it my imagination, Or did we once have a Gurkha cookbook in the downloads section,
Which I cannot seem to find now.
The Sherpa lamb curry looks good, might give that one a go I think.

Les

Still there Les if this is the one you mean? 

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,11610.msg90329.html#msg90329

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 07:53 PM »
Still there Les if this is the one you mean? 

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,11610.msg90329.html#msg90329

Thanks DalPuri, But no this is not the one I was thinking of, I believe there was another one in downloads long before the current one, Could have been lost in the re-shuffle, Oh well never mind.

Les

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 08:03 PM »
This thread refers.  Otherwise perhaps worth trying this guy :
9/8/10 at 4:56am

nigel meakin
    Retired Chef

Joined 11/2009

Hi all

If any one still need a copy of MACS on PDF email me at nigelmeakin@blueyonder.co.uk and i will send to you.

There is no time limit to this post. So if you are reading this say in 2 years time i will still send the PDF MACS Manual to you.

Regards Nigel

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 10:06 PM »
Thanks Phil for the link, Reading the link makes me think that it was the 1993 version that we had in the downloads section,
Or maybe I'm just having a senior moment here :-\

Les

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
In praise of Gurkha cuisine
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 05:53 PM »
Quote from: http://foodie-share.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/jsp-404.html
Part 4 is a bit special and is named Gurkha Cookery. It goes into Basic preparations; Rice dishes; Dal dishes; Meat and Poultry dishes; Fish dishes; Egg dishes; Potato and vegetable dishes; Chutneys; Breads; Snacks and Sweet dishes. We once had a detachment of Gurkhas on board for a few days, they were great guys. Big smiles, big knifes and even bigger appetites. I will never forget the chef trying to explain to them that there was actually a choice of three different meals on offer as they cruised down the counter taking a spoonful of everything. I'm sure they understood but they just smiled, nodded and told him 'it very nice, thank you' and carried on scooping. Brill! He would probably have lashed out with his ladled like Bumble the Beadle in Oliver Twist if it had been one of us. He (the chef not Oliver Twist or Mr Bumble) was quite wisely a little bit more restrained with these guys. Still in the true naval tradition of hospitality we had a bit of a party for our Gurkha quests the night before we dropped them off in the jungle to do their Gurkha-ing or what ever they were up to. In return they cooked up a curry for us. I don't know if it was a recipe from JSP 404 or its predecessor but I remember it was chunks of super tender chicken just dropping off the bone and it tasted delicious. There are worst ways to spend an evening than sitting on the flight-deck of a warship steaming through the South China Sea, drinking Tiger Beer from a can and with a paper plate piled high with authentic Gurkha Curry made by authentic Gurkhas.

©2024 Curry Recipes