Author Topic: Growing Pre bought coriander  (Read 7690 times)

Offline Davecraft

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Growing Pre bought coriander
« on: March 13, 2013, 09:05 PM »
Hi

I've been looking to grow some coriander this year. I've been thinking of getting one of them small pots of coriander they sell in the shops and transferring it into a bigger plant pot.

Is this a good idea and are there anything I need to be aware of? I don't see many posts on coriander on here!

Also in the process of drying out some chillis to plant!

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Pre bought coriander
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 09:21 PM »
Is this a good idea and are there anything I need to be aware of?

That should work quite well, make sure the bigger pot has fresh compost in it with plenty of nutrients to last it a while, also make sure the pot has drainage holes so the water can drain out, coriander doesn't like soggy roots. Don't put it in a window with direct sunlight, warm shade should work quite well. You might need to give it some feed (one with Nitrogen) after 4 weeks or so or the leaves will turn yellow.

Best way is to slice open the chilli's as if you were going to use them, take out the seeds and put them on a saucer or small plate, spread them out as much as possible and put it in a warm dark place - airing cupboard for a week or so to dry out.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 10:06 PM »
Hi

I've been looking to grow some coriander this year. I've been thinking of getting one of them small pots of coriander they sell in the shops and transferring it into a bigger plant pot.

Is this a good idea and are there anything I need to be aware of? I don't see many posts on coriander on here!

If you are talking about living supermarket herbs then personally i wouldn't bother. They're grown intensively to sprout lots of leaves quickly.
There must be 100 seeds packed into that 3" pot.!
Unless you can thin them out which is nigh on impossible, you will struggle to keep them alive.
Your best chance is to slice through the root ball into as many parts possible keeping each group intact with roots/soil to make plugs and to try and give them some room to grow on.
But even then they're overcrowded.

You'd be better off sowing a packet of seeds direct into a large tub and transplant those seedlings or grow on in the tub. Just make sure you thin out enough to give each plant its own space.

Frank.  :)

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:19 PM by DalPuri »

Offline Davecraft

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 07:19 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I was in the shops today and I spotted some coriander seeds by Schwartz so I bought them and now I'm attempting to germinate them to see if it will actually work (I've seen someone use Schwartz chilli flakes which germinated).

Will this work? I've made sure to use the seeds which are not cracked or damaged.

I've put them in both soil and damp kitchen roll to see if they will spring to life!

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 11:48 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I was in the shops today and I spotted some coriander seeds by Schwartz so I bought them and now I'm attempting to germinate them to see if it will actually work (I've seen someone use Schwartz chilli flakes which germinated).

Will this work? I've made sure to use the seeds which are not cracked or damaged.

I've put them in both soil and damp kitchen roll to see if they will spring to life!

Sowing coriander seeds from a packet has always worked for me, so no reason why it won't work for you, Dave. (I just sow them in a big pots and let nature do the rest.)

The Schwartz brand is pretty expensive though. The supermarkets charge around

Offline Goat Curry

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 11:07 AM »
Just to add to the advice already offered:

-Coriander doesn't appreciate being transplanted, so plant seed where they are going to grow.

- Some companies offer 2 types of seeds. One would be grown for Coriander seeds, and the other will resist the urge to bolt so that you may harvest the leaves for longer until it does go to seed. The latter is some times known as Cilantro when you buy the seeds, and yes, I do realise this is another name for Coriander. Both produce seeds and leaves, it just depends on which is more important to you to which strain you grow.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 11:23 AM »
Some companies offer 2 types of seeds. One would be grown for Coriander seeds, and the other will resist the urge to bolt so that you may harvest the leaves for longer until it does go to seed. The latter is some times known as Cilantro when you buy the seeds, and yes, I do realise this is another name for Coriander.

GC, do you happen to know the cultivar(s) for the non-bolting variety ?  Probably more reliable than just looking for "Cilantro seeds".

** Phil.

Offline Goat Curry

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 12:49 AM »
Phil, I just read the description on the pack of seeds and it normally says to what purpose the cultivar is most suited.

Here is an example from one of the seed companies I have used previously:

http://www.johnsons-seeds.com/seeds-plants-gardening/15093/coriander-cilantro-for-leaf
http://www.johnsons-seeds.com/seeds-plants-gardening/11754/coriander-for-seed

After a quick Google search I came across this cultivar list if you are interested:

www.myfolia.com/plants/563-coriander-coriandrum-sativum/varieties

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 08:16 AM »
Many thanks, GC :  it looks as if Mr Johnson is not too keen to tell his consumers which cultivar(s) he is offering, just the use to which they are best put !

** Phil.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 11:09 AM »
Right. Got meself a big pot, seeds, and compost. Where should we put it? Outside see,s the logical place but someone up the said they don't like direct sunlight?

©2024 Curry Recipes