Author Topic: ginger after cooking  (Read 955 times)

Offline acrabat

• Chef
    • View Profile
ginger after cooking
« on: March 16, 2013, 10:08 PM »
In the last 20 years curries from most of my locals have gradually changed from that old school taste that we all want to be able to recreate to something quite different. With the exception of the few I still patronise most of the modern curry TA's/sit ins seem to have gone for currys with fresh ginger being a very prominent flavour/aroma.
Coming from less than a dozen miles from the city I tried the Glasgow base and found that it was really was very close to the usual taste in these parts. As much as I liked it something was not right. So I made the base again but with 3/4 the oil, 1/4 creamed coconut, added some extra water before blending to make it easier, seived the mixture and had a final 15 min boil with a few whole spices. The result was good, no better than any of the good bases here, but still well worth using.
To turn the base into a finished dish I used the methods that are well documented on this site by well known names such as CA, CBM, CT et.al.
The resultant currys were very good, however they did not have that old school or new school taste.
Anyways, until happy-chris gives us the secret, I thought about trying to recreate the modern taste in these parts. I first tried experimenting with ratios of gg paste but did not have much success. Tonight I tried something different. The ginger I use is the Taj frozen ginger blocks. After cooking the curry and turning the gas off I finely grated 1/2 a block of the ginger into the pan. Well, was I surprised, exactly the taste of most of the curry shops in this area. Not 99% of the taste but the whole taste.
Unfortunately this is not the taste I'm looking for, but it may be useful for some who like it.
I would appreciate feedback from anyone else from central scotland who could try this and compare results.
cheers

©2024 Curry Recipes