Author Topic: The 3rd Secret Recipe Group Test  (Read 34703 times)

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The 3rd Secret Recipe Group Test
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 12:30 PM »
Further to above post I should add -

the music doesn't get any better CT.   ;)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 01:31 PM »
Looks delicious Ruby, :P  but does sound a bit odd with the 2 pans.
Looking through some recipes the past few days seems there are countless recipes for Rogan Josh, but they mainly fall into 2 categories.
The original being from Kashmir and having lots of red chillies
and the more modern interpretation having lots of tomatoes.(the latter originally trying to replicate the red colour?)

The majority are using lamb or mutton and whole garam masala.

The beginning of the vid was great, sounded like DJ Chewy starting off his radio show.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 02:02 PM by DalPuri »

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 01:35 PM »
Looks delicious Ruby, :P  but does sound a bit odd with the 2 pans.
Looking through some recipes the past few days seems there are countless recipes for Rogan Josh, but they mainly falls into 2 categories.
The original being from Kashmir and having lots of red chillies
and the more modern interpretation having lots of tomatoes.(the latter trying to replicate the red colour?)

The majority are using lamb or mutton and whole garam masala.

The beginning of the vid was great, sounded like DJ Chewy starting off his radio show.  ;D

Don't yer just luv 'im?   :o

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 02:09 PM »
still cannot understand the reason for the second pan and I actually think it is detrimental to what was produced in the first pan.

What if you were to say, roast the 2nd pan ingredients in a slow oven for an hour or so, then mix through into the main dish?  8)

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2013, 02:29 PM »
still cannot understand the reason for the second pan and I actually think it is detrimental to what was produced in the first pan.

What if you were to say, roast the 2nd pan ingredients in a slow oven for an hour or so, then mix through into the main dish?  8)

Sorry. Still cannot see the point. Personal taste I suppose.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 05:16 PM »
Looks very nice, RD. I like a lot of Chewy's recipes, so I'm glad you gave his Rogan Josh the thumbs-up. It's a curry I haven't made yet, so I'll need to jot it down from the video and then jump out and get some lamb to do it justice. :)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2013, 04:58 PM »
What actually makes a Rogan Josh ( or however you want to spell it ) a Rogan Josh? What defines it? What separates it from the rest?  I am not actually sure as it is one of those dishes that varies so much from place to place, more so than some of the others.

I'm no RJ connoisseur but I can tell you what doesn't make a RJ and that's a standard curry with a veg tarka on top of it. It seems strange that CT is even calling this a RJ because he says himself on the video that it's basically a standard curry. I assume his argument would be that it's the topping that makes it a RJ? So, to me, this is a standard curry with caramelised veg on top (even that's not true if done as in CT video - that's fried veg, not caramelised, quite a different beast altogether) .

I think to qualify as a RJ it's either got to have lots of a bright red chilli in it to achieve the colour (traditional style) or it's got to have a whole load of well cooked down tomatoes in the sauce (BIR style). The dream topping is something I've never actually come across in a restaurant but the version I made (not exactly CT's) was definitely a nice added touch that helps to differentiate the curry.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2013, 01:44 PM »
Catching up with this.
RD
Bengali BIR Rogan Josh is a 2 stage dish or a combined/layered curry.
Here in the Northeast its usually a Bhuna style cooked curry with a sweet/spicy Tomato and onion top.
It is the caramelised Tomato top that defines and separates the dish from others on the menu.
This is BIR cooking, Nothing to do with traditional Indian textbook recipes, I've never known it cooked differently in 40 years of currying.
If its not broke, don't fix it  ;D

Also this Rogan style of cooking has spurned a few other layered dishes consigned to the Chef's Specialities part of the menu.

But if you don't like Tomatoes, a Rogan Josh is one to avoid.
E.G. In my video recipe, I used 3 medium sized tomatoes.
Anyhoo, glad the vid inspired you to cook a tasty curry, your photo looks like a good meaty Bhuna.

My Task

RD set my task to do my take on a Nihari Curry, BIR style.
I had some precooked Lamb and Beef, fresh Mushrooms and Chillis.
(The Indian flavour enhancers are Whole Garam Spices and SHAN Nihari spice mix.)

So I set about with my tried, tested and refined recipe.

First in the pan, hot oil, Whole Garam Spices.

Add a good handful of service onions

Add 3 chopped mushrooms.

Add 2 sliced Habenero chillis.

Add 3 tbs of Tomato Puree dilute, 0.5 tsp mixed powder, 0.5 tsp chilli powder, 1 heaped tsp of Shan Nihari powder.

Add precooked meat and a ladle of curry base (Garabi) and cook.

Add more Garabi and cook.

Add fresh Coriander and a quartered Tomato and cook.

Serve and Garnish

Enjoy this dish, spicy, full of traditional Indian flavours, cooked BIR style, in around 12 minutes.
(It may be obvious to some, but don't eat the Garam Spices)

cheers ChewyTikka

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2013, 02:28 PM »
Looks a full bodied curry that Chewy.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2013, 08:33 PM »
Certainly looks good CT and nice pics. Re the RJ comments. I am left a tad confused re the 'tomato top' comment as the recipe has no tomato at all,in the 2nd pan topping.  Seems like I have. Good bhuna recipe sorted for my mutton though.  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes