Author Topic: Need Methi (BIR) recipe?  (Read 8296 times)

Offline manhead3

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Need Methi (BIR) recipe?
« on: March 23, 2013, 03:20 PM »
I been after bir methi curry recipe for years and I haven't had much look at all, there is not much on the internet, e-books and takeaways that still this curry on their menu are are reluctant to give it away. Can anyone give me a recipe for this curry as bir measurements are fine because that's what i mainly use anyway.

If anyone could help on this I would be so gratified and would be happy to help anyone who has any questions in return.

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Need Methi (BIR) recipe?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 04:03 PM »
If anyone could help on this I would be so gratified and would be happy to help anyone who has any questions in return.

Can you expand a little on exactly what it is you're looking for here? Because Methi BIR recipe doesn't really say.

I've recently been experimenting with an Aloo Methi recipe which I've modified to BIR style with some good results, which is basically just potatoes with fenugreek. I've been using dried methi leaves even though I think you get better results with fresh, but unless you grow them yourself, fresh aren't exactly easy to get hold of.

I suspect you're after an established BIR Methi Murgh or Methi Gosht recipe which I don't have, but I don't see why one can't be reconstructed.

Offline manhead3

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 07:58 AM »
I'm looking for a Methi Gosht which is basically like a madras or bhuna but with a lot of methi, I have tried using fresh methi and I have so far had some pretty good results but I want to make it as close to the takeaway standard as possible. I also think that some takeaways put natural yogurt in some of the Methi Gosht so that is something you could try.

I be happy to learn a bit more in depth information on how you did this Methi Aloo if you don't mind.

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 10:52 AM »
BIR Methi Gosht

Ingredients.
Stage 1.
1 Cs oil.
1 Tsp G&G
1 heaped Cs chopped onion that is mixed with 1 Tbsp finally chopped green pepper.
1/4 Tsp salt.
1 green chilli quarted.

Stage 2.
1 Cs tomato. (from a tin of plum tomatoes that has been blended)
2 Tbsp coconut powder.
1 Tbsp Mix powder.
1 Tsp chilli powder.
1 cup of fresh Methi (leafs only.)
100 ml base gravy.

stage 3.
250ml base gravy.
pre-cooked meat.
1 tomato quarted.

Stage 4.
2 Tbsp fresh chopped coriander.
1/2 Cs spiced oil.

Method.

Stage 1.
Heat the oil on high add the G&G and brown,add the onion,salt & chilli cook until slightly soft.

Stage 2.
Add all stage 2 ingredients, stir and cook until oil splits.

Stage 3.
Add all stage 3 ingredients, cook for about 5 minutes on high.

Stage 4.
Add the coriander and spiced oil if you use it, now cook until the thickness you want.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 02:19 PM by h4ppy-chris »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 11:05 AM »
Looks a good starting point, but what is the basis for your belief that coconut powder is required ?  I avoid any dish in which I can detect the presence of coconut (other than coconut milk) and I have never eaten a methi gosht in which I could detect coconut.

** Phil.

P.S.  I assume "1 Cs" is "One chef's spoon(ful)".

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 11:57 AM »
Looks a good starting point, but what is the basis for your belief that coconut powder is required ?  I avoid any dish in which I can detect the presence of coconut (other than coconut milk) and I have never eaten a methi gosht in which I could detect coconut.

** Phil.

P.S.  I assume "1 Cs" is "One chef's spoon(ful)".

Then use coconut milk simples. If you don't like coconut at all use 1/2 Tsp sugar. The sweetness offsets the bitter from the methi.  ;)

P.S. "1 Cs" is "One chef's spoon(ful)"

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 12:46 PM »
Looks a good starting point...

It does indeed look a good starting point. I'll be interested to hear back from the OP as to how he gets on with this. My only doubt (like you) is the 4 tablespoons of coconut powder, which seems like a lot, but I'll reserve judgement on that when/until I've cooked it.

Chris

Thanks for posting this, it looks good.

Do the BIR's generally used fresh methi for this and if so do they chop it first? Do they ever used dried? If so what proportions of dried to fresh would they use?

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 01:03 PM »
Looks a good starting point...

It does indeed look a good starting point. I'll be interested to hear back from the OP as to how he gets on with this. My only doubt (like you) is the 4 tablespoons of coconut powder, which seems like a lot, but I'll reserve judgement on that when/until I've cooked it.

Chris

Thanks for posting this, it looks good.

Do the BIR's generally used fresh methi for this and if so do they chop it first? Do they ever used dried? If so what proportions of dried to fresh would they use?

Sorry re-read my notes its 2 Tbsp coconut powder. ::)
Fresh but if you can't get hold of fresh, use dried 1/4 cup and soak for 5 minutes in warm water then drain well.

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 01:41 PM »
Fresh but if you can't get hold of fresh, use dried 1/4 cup and soak for 5 minutes in warm water then drain well.

Okay, that sounds more like it!

And thanks for the comment on the fresh v dried. I've used fresh before and I think it does give a better flavour and texture, but I've also had quite good results with using dried, soaked as you mention.

Have you cooked this yourself? If so what did you think of it?

And, probably the most interesting part of that recipe is Stage 4 and the addition of spiced oil at the end of cooking. ;)

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 01:53 PM »

Okay, that sounds more like it!

And thanks for the comment on the fresh v dried. I've used fresh before and I think it does give a better flavour and texture, but I've also had quite good results with using dried, soaked as you mention.

Have you cooked this yourself? If so what did you think of it?

And, probably the most interesting part of that recipe is Stage 4 and the addition of spiced oil at the end of cooking. ;)

"Have you cooked this yourself? If so what did you think of it?" Yes is a nice dish when you want something a bit different.

Spiced oil is used as seasoning.  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes