Author Topic: Chicken Tikka - Red  (Read 8267 times)

Offline failsafe

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Chicken Tikka - Red
« on: March 25, 2013, 08:16 AM »
Have packet of pre-cooked chicken and want to have that authentic red colour of BIR's
the question is: do i use the red colouring on the pre-cooked and put it back in freezer? Do i spread it by hand? Or can i just pour it in the bag and shake to try and distribute?
Following on from that i presume i would them marinade it using a tikka recipe, am i right?
failsafe

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Tikka - Red
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 09:24 AM »
Have packet of pre-cooked chicken and want to have that authentic red colour of BIR's.  the question is: do i use the red colouring on the pre-cooked and put it back in freezer? Do i spread it by hand? Or can i just pour it in the bag and shake to try and distribute?  Following on from that i presume i would them marinade it using a tikka recipe, am i right?

IMHO, you can't make chicken tikka from pre-cooked chicken.  The marinading process (which is also when the colour is acquired) requires raw chicken, not pre-cooked.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 09:42 AM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline failsafe

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 10:53 AM »
Have packet of pre-cooked chicken and want to have that authentic red colour of BIR's.  the question is: do i use the red colouring on the pre-cooked and put it back in freezer? Do i spread it by hand? Or can i just pour it in the bag and shake to try and distribute?  Following on from that i presume i would them marinade it using a tikka recipe, am i right?

IMHO, you can't make chicken tikka from pre-cooked chicken.  The marinading process (which is also when the colour is acquired) requires raw chicken, not pre-cooked.

** Phil.

That's such a shame as it's already diced for me [500g]. So really left with no option other than to use it in a curry-i imagine?
failsafe

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 11:19 AM »
That's such a shame as it's already diced for me [500g]. So really left with no option other than to use it in a curry-i imagine?

Yes 'fraid so : but I am a little unclear as to how it became pre-cooked and then diced.  Did you pre-cook it yourself and then have someone dice it for you ?

** Phil.

Offline failsafe

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 02:53 PM »

Yes 'fraid so : but I am a little unclear as to how it became pre-cooked and then diced.  Did you pre-cook it yourself and then have someone dice it for you ?

** Phil.

No, Phil, got it from Asda (it's the ?3 pack) on the link below

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/search/searchcontainer.jsp?trailSize=1&searchString=diced+chicken&domainName=Products&headerVersion=v1&_requestid=165066

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 05:18 PM »
OK, IMHO that should be fine for currying but probably won't work for tikka.  If currying, I would recommend marinading in Kashmiri Masala Paste first.

** Phil.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 09:02 PM »
Hi failsafe do you realise you are paying 6.00 GBP per kilo for your chicken, that is more expensive than lamb.

Offline failsafe

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 05:58 PM »
Hi failsafe do you realise you are paying 6.00 GBP per kilo for your chicken, that is more expensive than lamb.

must admit i never looked at it that way, but yes when you work it out could get a nice piece of lamb, cheers

Offline failsafe

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 06:00 PM »
OK, IMHO that should be fine for currying but probably won't work for tikka.  If currying, I would recommend marinading in Kashmiri Masala Paste first.

** Phil.

thanks for that Phil, but i might try a few cubes to marinate in tikka, see how it turns out
failsafe

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 09:27 AM »
Marinating already cooked meat is hopeless. The fibers have already firmed and the marinade will not be soaked in. Toss them in a curry as they are and just buy raw chicken breast next time ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes