Author Topic: Rajver curry gravy(revisited)  (Read 10978 times)

Offline woodpecker21

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Rajver curry gravy(revisited)
« on: September 24, 2006, 03:33 PM »
hi g/gls
here is the new and improved version of my locals curry gravy adapted by me ;)
i truly recommend making this as it only takes 1 hour from start to finish and you will not be sorry ;D
it is suitable for vegetarians and peeps with any allergies to nuts as it doesnot contain any not even coconut. and tastes delicious.and gets better as the week goes on ;)
here goes
RAJVER CURRY GRAVY(REVISITED)

Ingredients

4 large onions   
   1/2 green pepper   
   3 green chillies   
1(4-6?) carrot
1/2 tin plum tomatoes blended
1/2 tbsp salt
400ml  of veg oil
1/2 bunch fresh coriander
600ml water
2 tbsp tomato puree
1/2 tsp ajowan seeds
In a muslin place 3 black cardamoms,2 bay leaves,4 cloves, 1 2? piece of cinnamon bark(cassia bark preferable) tie up and place in with the vegetables.

CHOP/ SLICE  ALL THE INGREDIENTS and add to pot including muslin of whole spices  add ajowan seeds when pot comes to the boil. Boil for 30 minutes until onions, carrot and pepper are soft remove pot from heat and add

2 TBSP TURMERIC
1TBSP CHILLI POWDER   
1 TBSP GROUND CORIANDER
1 TBSP CUMMIN
1 TBSP GARAM MASALA   

SIMMER FOR ANOTHER 30 MINUTES, remove as much of the oil as you can and the muslin of whole spices THEN BLEND TO A SMOOTH PUREE with 100ml of hot water, pour oil and put the muslin cloth back in pot then add more hot water until you have a soup like consistency. PLACE IN A COOL PLACE READY FOR USE. You can refridgerate for 1week but remove the muslin after 3 days as the aroma will be as intense as you will need or could stand;-)

good luck

regards
gary
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 09:45 AM by Admin »

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Rajver curry gravy(revisited)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 02:19 PM »
No garlic in the base  :o surely not?

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 04:51 PM »
I shall re-visit this base to experiment with -  perhaps add garlic and reduce the cardamom . Another project for the weekend .  :)

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 01:46 AM »
I note the comment about Garlic.  The recipe says it is non-allergenic, and it is not generally known, but Garlic is figuring more frequently now in the list of bad allergies.  I happen to love Garlic in all forms, but I have to bow from time to time to my customers who have garlic allergy.  I always feel sorry for those who can't eat curries  8)

Happy Cooking
C P

Offline woodpecker21

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 09:31 PM »
hi cc & cp
cc. try it without the garlic and add the garlic to the final dish as this curry sauce does nit need it.
cp if your customers have allergies for garlic then this sauce is perfect  there is no real need for garlic to create most of the dishes korma/pasanda/madras/etc. all i say is just try it. and it is perfect start for newbies :)

the initial heat from the chillies will subside so will be come mellower.
cp try this sauce with the korma recipe i posted with the korma paste and my interpreptation of chicken korma ;)

hope someone is listening out there
just made the 15 chicken vindaloo in a row or is it more can't remember ;D

also if you add 4 tbsp of vegetable ghee in the first 1/2 hour cooking adds something to it as well

regards
gary

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 11:52 PM »
Thanks Gary I shall give it a try and PM the result .

Cheers ,

CC

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 02:57 AM »
Just an addendum to my last post - sometimes I think that the simple base sauces on this site are far better than the more timely . I can't envisage too many BIR restaurants spending either numerous hours or days prepping a base sauce . Complexity and time would not be cost efficient .

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 10:36 AM »
Hi Woodpecker

I am listening and will certainly try your recipes. I am in the middle of a cook run for my business so may try it for tonight with some of the Chicken.

As for time taken for Bases, I think its is fair comment that most BIRs would not take the time.  Certainly a lot of the up-market guys create small simple batches at a time and may make several different bases to suit individual dishes.  Your average high street guy does take time for cooking the base (just walk past one in the morning!), as some bases need to mature over a few hours or overnight.  Some of the restaurants I know get there Mum or dad to make the base as it is cost effective  ;D.

Anyway, happy cooking one and all
C P

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 01:39 PM »
hi g/gls

its woodpecker
forgot to mention if you add 2 potatoes 1/4ed and put them in the first boil until the are cooked (10-15mins) then remove them again it adds a little something but do remove them so you can use them in vindaloo or bombay potato or methi

ragards
gary

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 04:19 PM »
......... get there Mum or dad to make the base as it is cost effective  ;D.

Now thats an idea I hadn't thought of - dare I give it a try ?  :) :)
Thanks C P

©2024 Curry Recipes