Author Topic: hydroponics my chilli growing setup video  (Read 25110 times)

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
hydroponics my chilli growing setup video
« on: March 28, 2013, 02:03 PM »
I am loving this hydroponics for growing chillies.  :) any tips? Once the flower is open, how many days do i leave it before i self pollinate it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1N6QLdbg7w

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: hydroponics my chilli growing setup video
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 02:22 PM »
Nice little hydro set up there Chris.  8)

One important thing i see thats missing, is an oscillating fan. You really need to get a fan in there to strengthen up those stems so that they can hold the weight of the fruit.

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 02:44 PM »
Nice little hydro set up there Chris.  8)

One important thing i see thats missing, is an oscillating fan. You really need to get a fan in there to strengthen up those stems so that they can hold the weight of the fruit.

Thanks for that mate, i thought a fan was just to keep things cool. Now i know better i will get a fan asap  ;)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 03:01 PM »

Thanks for that mate, i thought a fan was just to keep things cool. Now i know better i will get a fan asap  ;)

You wont have any worries with temps using an enviro (CFL), just make sure you dont blow directly on the seedlings at this stage. As long as there's a gentle breeze, they'll be fine.  ;)
Air circulation is important to maintain healthy and strong plants.
And spray them once a day too while theyre young and before they start to flower.
Use plain water, preferably cooled down from a kettle.(not straight from the tap)

I dont know if youre planning to grow inside only or if you will eventually move them out to a greenhouse or conservatory, (still in hydro) but if growing solely indoors, you will need to add a bulb in the red spectrum.
I take it that you only have a blue enviro at the moment?

Oh, and watch out for the aphids! You might need to buy in some ladybirds  :P
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 03:52 PM by DalPuri »

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 03:56 PM »

It's also helps to re-circulate the air around the plants.

As I'm sure you know, plants intake CO2 and expire Oxygen, it's handy that humans do that in reverse! The fan simply helps circulate air containing CO2 around their leaves so they have a constant fresh supply to help continue healthy growth. If the air around the plants and leaves remains static over time the CO2 will become depleted and growth will slow as a result.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 05:12 PM »
Hi Chris, that's funny because most people grow cannabis with a setup like that  ;)

The fan is a good idea for the reasons given already. You need ph and solution strength meters to do hydrophonics properly and these need to be recalibrated from time to time. And a thermometer is handy too.

It's probably easier to kill your plants stone dead with hydroponics versus soil, if you make a big mistake.

Good luck anyway.

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 06:22 PM »

You wont have any worries with temps using an enviro (CFL), just make sure you dont blow directly on the seedlings at this stage. As long as there's a gentle breeze, they'll be fine.  ;)
Air circulation is important to maintain healthy and strong plants.
And spray them once a day too while theyre young and before they start to flower.
Use plain water, preferably cooled down from a kettle.(not straight from the tap)

I dont know if youre planning to grow inside only or if you will eventually move them out to a greenhouse or conservatory, (still in hydro) but if growing solely indoors, you will need to add a bulb in the red spectrum.
I take it that you only have a blue enviro at the moment?

Oh, and watch out for the aphids! You might need to buy in some ladybirds  :P

Oky been and bought a fan.  :) Thanks for the other tips.  ;)
"spray them once a day too while they're young and before they start to flower." Why mate?

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 06:23 PM »

It's also helps to re-circulate the air around the plants.

As I'm sure you know, plants intake CO2 and expire Oxygen, it's handy that humans do that in reverse! The fan simply helps circulate air containing CO2 around their leaves so they have a constant fresh supply to help continue healthy growth. If the air around the plants and leaves remains static over time the CO2 will become depleted and growth will slow as a result.

Thanks for your input it all helps.

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 06:29 PM »
Hi Chris, that's funny because most people grow cannabis with a setup like that  ;)

The fan is a good idea for the reasons given already. You need ph and solution strength meters to do hydrophonics properly and these need to be recalibrated from time to time. And a thermometer is handy too.

It's probably easier to kill your plants stone dead with hydroponics versus soil, if you make a big mistake.

Good luck anyway.

"people grow cannabis with a setup like that  ;)" I know  :) Youtube "hydroponics chillies" some really good viewing.

I have a ph meter just need the ppm meter now. thanks for the tips Paul.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 06:47 PM »

Oky been and bought a fan.  :) Thanks for the other tips.  ;)
"spray them once a day too while they're young and before they start to flower." Why mate?

Again, it keeps the plants healthy, raises the humidity and keeps them clean from any possible pests and diseases.
You're trying to recreate the perfect environment for them indoors, sun, wind, dew, rain etc.
Give them a light misting first thing in the morning.

I'm sure a lot of peoples houseplants would benefit from a good spray once in a while.  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes