Author Topic: Viceroy Brasserie Pre-Cooked Chicken  (Read 17594 times)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Viceroy Brasserie Pre-Cooked Chicken
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 11:30 PM »
Thank you Secret Santa!

It's on the stove at the moment. I even made their mix powder and the smell of the chicken boiling away in the whole spices + mix powder is wonderful. the only thing I didn't add in early enough because I forgot was star anis. I'll post some pictures later. I'm also working on my entry to the secret recipe group test

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 01:17 AM »
All ingredients (except salt and star anis)

oil + whole spices + g/g

and onions + 3 chef spoon of tomato blended peel italian plum toms, as opposed to Ali's mention of tablespoon (he uses chef spoon)

mix powder, salt, staranis mixed

Add chicken

20 mins later, drain the chicken pieces with a sieve or colander.

I can't wait til I try it tomorrow. I have just made my curry to participate in the 3rd secret recipe contest, so I am definitely no capable of eating more.... though, I must admit, the smell while cooking the chicken was awesome... I'm keeping the oil and using it on tomorrow's biryani. I hope it's worth it.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 12:00 PM »
Hi GC

No one can accuse of you of not being enthusiastic. Good darts! ;)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 01:13 PM »
Hi GC

No one can accuse of you of not being enthusiastic. Good darts! ;)

Thanks Axe, indeed. If anything, I am not short of enthusiasm to learn and hopefully reach that common goal of ours :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 01:56 PM »
At the rate your going, it won't be long. :)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 09:02 PM »
The resulting chicken is a winner, highly recommended.

Offline Charlotte84

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 03:57 PM »
Hi !

Your meal looks like very appetizing !
I'm new on this forum and with curry cooking. I will try your recipe, but is it possible do it with less oil ?

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 04:18 PM »
Hi !

Your meal looks like very appetizing !
I'm new on this forum and with curry cooking. I will try your recipe, but is it possible do it with less oil ?

Hi Charlotte and welcome. It's always possible, but the results will likely vary. I recommend using the quantity of oil as indicated in the video as it works very well. You can use it later to start your curries and to keep your chicken's flavors enhanced.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2015, 02:20 PM »
My vindaloo journey continues.  Once i arrive at somewhere near the destination I will write up a report of some kind.  So far it has resulted in my having to make another base as i exhausted what was in the freezer.  So it was time to try jb's, it having received some very good feedback.  All very positive so far using this base.  One thing struck me though once i'd finished cooking the dish, having sampled the sauce during the cooking, was how much my pre-cooked chicken had influenced the final taste of the dish, and NOT for the better  >:(
I have been using Ifindforu's method now for quite some time with good results.  However, the last time i cooked some chicken I think I was a little over zealous with the asian bay or possibly another spice and this gave the chicken a distinct flavour and smell.  It could possibly have been that the asian bay were fresher than normal and therefore had  a much more marked affect as they were stronger in potency.  At the time i didn't give this too much thought, but the vindaloo journey has made me realise the impact this has been having on curries i have cooked, which have minimal ingredients for their creation, just like madras and vindaloo. 
In many threads the comment has been made "little is more" and thinking about it, this makes a lot of sense.  Adding too much of something can severely impact on the final taste of the dish and upset the balance of flavours.  In my case it was adding chicken that was too strongly flavoured (entirely my fault, not the recipe I used).  Enough of my waffling.  I was now out of chicken, so it was time to cook up some more for the journey.  Ali's Viceroy video has attracted some very positive comments on the results achieved by using chef Imran's ingredients and method, although it is not unlike many recipes already posted on the site.  So yesterday afternoon I set to and made up a batch.  First impressions are good.  I managed to produce a potful of succulent, moist and very mildly flavoured chicken which should go well in any plain dish and not impart any overpowering flavour.  Here's the finished result.  I will be freezing the resulting stock in an ice cube tray which can then be added during the final cook, just to add that extra subtle layer of flavour.
I'm looking forward to creating my first dish using it and sampling the results.  It (or probably my recent learnings) may just get me a little further down the road  :)

Image hosting by CR0.co.uk
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 02:40 PM by curryhell »

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2015, 02:53 PM »
I love the Viceroy precooked chicken, but I also found that it was far too 'tasty' to be used in more basic curries. In my case this was a 'Madras', but I wouldn't use it in a Vindaloo either. I reserve it for the occassional 'chef's special'.

I'm fairly sure I followed the recipe as directed, but maybe it's less potent on a larger scale.

©2024 Curry Recipes