Author Topic: Hints, tips, methods and so on..  (Read 20390 times)

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Hints, tips, methods and so on..
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 06:18 PM »
Hi Everyone
Here's a good tip When Marinating use a plastic bag instead of a dish because you don't need to keep turning the product over and over etc.

Just take the bag out of the fridge and give it a good Squlsh between your fingers now and again, for example how many times a day do you go in your fridge for things like milk ?
You will see the Red Bag take it out give it a squeeze then put it back this works wonders Just think of it as giving the meat a massage.
 ;) Layne

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 06:30 PM »
Just think of it as giving the meat a massage.

:o

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 10:08 AM »
Is that legal now?  :-[

Offline snowdog

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 02:24 PM »
AHEM!

I have started this topic as means to keep the subject matter focused rather than buried ad hoc in other topics/recipes. 

;)

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006, 03:19 PM »
Sorry, you are quite correct of course.

C P

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2006, 01:58 PM »
I second that idea about a sub forum for hints and tips.  I did mention to CP that we maybe sticky an info thread but a sub forum would be a lot easier to read through than a massive thread.

I agree it SHOULD be easier but fear it's going wrong already, if easy reading and fact finding is the objective!

This category of the forum is called "Hints, Tips, Methods and so on..."

But this thread is also called: "Hints, Tips, Methods and so on..." Duplication or what?

So what we've kicked off with is a hotch potch of hints, tips and methods all under the one thread, which seems in danger of going on for ever, to dozens of pages, which may be a pain to wade through in future months and years.

Wouldn't it have been better to have threads with titles like curry powders, garam masala, garlic peeling and so on?

Regards
George

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2006, 03:05 PM »
Good idea George, a main heading divided into more precise headings would be of much more use as they fill up etc...

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2006, 05:57 PM »
Quite agree and this was the intention.  Be not afeared, what has happened is our good chaps in Admin have transferred some discussions that have already occurred to this area.  So yes you can now post a topic in here called Garma Masalas (Use of), Frying techniques, equipment, preparation etcetera, the rule being they are advice and guidance not recipes.  The thread was the preparation of Garlic.....
I am sure it will settle in to a pattern when we learn to post things in their proper places (me included  ;D)

Happy Cooking
C P

I called it the Rajvinci code, maybe it should be the Birvinci code  :D

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2006, 09:32 AM »
If you do want categories then please outline here what you want and i will set them up, just add to the list, this is all i can think of: -

Spices
Cooking Process
Cooking Equipment
Storage Tips

Offline curryharry

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2006, 10:34 PM »
Hi all. Great site here, with plenty of "food for thought".

My first post, then, is about rice.

I think I may have picked up the principle for this recipe from Delia at some point years ago. And it is absolutely foolproof.

Start up kettle full of water boiling.

In a pan, sufficiently large for the amount of rice you need to prepare, heat a tablespoon or two (depending on rice quantity again - see below) of vegetable oil until quite hot and then pour in ONE measure of unwashed Basmati rice. Stir through over a medium-high heat until all the grains are changing to that milky sort of white colour - don't let them burn.

Turn the heat up to full and have the pan lid ready. Carefully add TWO measures of boiling water and some salt to taste, being aware that there will be a lot of spitting. You may want to add one measure, lid it and shake it, then add the second measure. Bring back to the boil, stir once to ensure nothing has stuck to the bottom of the pan. Turn the heat RIGHT DOWN and leave until all the water has been absorbed. You will see craters appear on the surface of the rice.

Fluff the rice up with a fork and serve.

VARIANTS
For Indian meals, I fry some cinnamon sticks, onion seeds, black mustard seeds, cummin seeds, bayleaves, cardamoms, cloves and turmeric etc, as you like, in the oil before adding the rice.

For that restaurant pilau look, avoid the spices and dot some food colouring on the rice after it has finished cooking but before forking it through.

You can fry some chopped onion in the oil at the start if you like.

Rather than using salt, I often use 2 or three vegetable stock cubes in the boiling water for extra flavour.

You can add a couple of handfuls of frozen peas near the end of cooking, just letting them sit on the top until they are steamed (fnarr!) and then fork them through.

Etc.

And,

(and this is the best bit)

When the rice has cooled, and you come to use it the next day for a Nasi Goreng or Chinese Prawn Fried Rice or that Thai staple Kao Pad, every grain is separate just like Mister Ben's, but without the hat.

I ahven't had a single failure with this, and now never cook rice any other way (unless it's a microwave bag at work...).

What do you think?

©2024 Curry Recipes