Author Topic: Epic Nan Fail - Zero bubbles  (Read 15712 times)

Offline vindapoo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Epic Nan Fail - Zero bubbles
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 06:46 PM »
Well success this time!

I used H4ppyleader's recipe from youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6Qs2EVqr6U.

Worked a treat but had a couple things missing for me, not enough sugar (needs at least 1.5tbsp i think) and no kolonji seeds.

Next batch I'll amend but really chuffed it bubbled!

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 09:41 PM »
Glad to see you had a more successful outcome this time Vindapoo  :D  Did they have the naan taste and texture?

Offline vindapoo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 11:31 PM »
It's not as crunchy/chewy as a tandoor nan. Not sweet enough for my taste either. Will do another batch and add more sugar, may even experiment with some jagggery.

Offline vindapoo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 09:31 PM »
Just to follow up, I've cracked naan.

Used Chris recipie but doubled the sugar and added kalonji seeds. The trick is to let it rise for a min of 4 hours, punch it down at let it sit again for min 2 hours.

It came out better than any I've tried and cost less than

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 10:44 PM »
I had my epic fail today. I made a peshwari naan, but half-way thru rolling, the peshwari filling (made of coconut flour and coarsely ground cashews, milk and carnation milk) ripped thru the dough and I had a bit of a mess on the chopping board where I was rolling it.

One thing I'm yet to master is getting the naan dough rolled thinly. Is there any trick to this? My dough is always a little too springy and does not seem to have the elasticity I see in other videos.

I used the yeastless recipe by CBMv2 (which I believe is the same as in CBMv1) -- any tips from the experienced? :)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 11:12 PM »
My dough is always a little too springy and does not seem to have the elasticity I see in other videos.

I am not a naan maker, and cannot comment on the technique, but am puzzled by the statement above.  In general, something that is "a little too springy" would have too much elasticity, not too little.  Could you elaborate, please ?

** Phil.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 12:37 AM »
Well, if I roll it, it will spring, but shortly there after spring back (or shrink). Although, I can't seem to get the dough rolled thinly as would be expected.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 01:10 AM »
Well, if I roll it, it will spring, but shortly there after spring back (or shrink). Although, I can't seem to get the dough rolled thinly as would be expected.

Try pressing them out to a good size, then leaving for 10-20 mins at room temp before rolling out to desired size.

I've found that i have to do this for my chapatis cooked with the electric press. If i try to press them too soon after making the balls, they wont stretch easily to fully cover the 8"dia of the chapati maker.
So from the time of forming the balls and pressing into a disc with my hand to actually cooking the chapatis, im working them in my palms.
I do this every few mins or so making the disc bigger each time to roughly 3-4" before cooking. This makes them easy to press in the chapati maker and stops them shrinking back. (and stops them flying out if they were just balls of dough  ;D )

Cheers, Frank.  :)

Offline vindapoo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 08:56 AM »
I found that hardly any rolling is needed. I basically prod the dough into the rough tear shape using fingertips and then pick it up and 'clap' it between my hands which stretches it dead thin.

The dough consistency is crucial though I found, if in doubt just leave it all day to rise to see the difference. It becomes really light and puffy. I started off with Chris youtube recipe but sound it wasn't sweet enough and used a bit too much yog (15 tblspoons) so I modified it as follows which makes 8 naans:

500g plain flour
225ml luke warm water
5 tblsp yog
4 tblsp veg oil
4.5 tbsp sugar
teaspoon dried bakers yeast
a tad under a teaspoon salt.
1.5 tsp kalonji seeds

method:

1. Mix sugar, water and yeast and let it froth (10 mins).
2. dump everything in the mixer bowl and mix until its a dough ball then let it rest. The mix takes 20 seconds using an electric mixer.
3. After half an hour let it mix real well until silky smooth, you may need more water/flour. Takes 3 mins on my mixer.
4. oil a bowl and dump the dough into it. Cover with cloth and leave for 4 hours or longer, the longer the better. Aim for a trebling in size.
5. Punch it down then leave it again for a couple hours.

This works perfect for me, I cook using a tawa to get the bottom done then under the grill and it bubbles like a champ. Light brish with ghee and its better than the real thing! Can't see any need for a tandoor to be honest as this is 99% there.

I'm going to make another batch and freeze it to see how well it defrosts. That way can make a massive batch of say 30 nanns and freeze the lot.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 01:20 AM »
Many thanks for your additions DalPuri and vindapoo! Chris recipe seems pretty decent and I am looking forward to give it a try. I shall update this topic when I do so :)

I forgot to add, I had my naan resting for over 3hours after kneading and I left the first ball of dough resting  (as a ball) for about 20mins, while I was preparing the mains and before I started to add the filling.

©2024 Curry Recipes