Author Topic: Epic Nan Fail - Zero bubbles  (Read 15705 times)

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Epic Nan Fail - Zero bubbles
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 10:46 AM »
I think what may have been a not-so-good-choice was rolling out the dough. Just push it down with your fingers and don't knock all the air out of it and try again (watch some videos how the pizza guys do it). And if you want them as puffy as the one in the last pic then you'll definitely need some yeast, IMHO.

Offline vindapoo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 12:38 PM »
I think what may have been a not-so-good-choice was rolling out the dough. Just push it down with your fingers and don't knock all the air out of it and try again (watch some videos how the pizza guys do it). And if you want them as puffy as the one in the last pic then you'll definitely need some yeast, IMHO.

urban myth.

I tested it, i totally flattened a nan with the rolling pin, folded it in half and flattened again. Still came out perfect. If the dough is good then it will just work.

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 12:52 PM »
Well, I've made many dozens of pizzas and it's definitely not an urban myth. Next time try to do it as I said and do one as you said at the same time and you'll see the difference. Yes, the dough will still rise but no air in the dough means no big bubbles.

Offline vindapoo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 01:02 PM »
Well, I've made many dozens of pizzas and it's definitely not an urban myth. Next time try to do it as I said and do one as you said at the same time and you'll see the difference. Yes, the dough will still rise but no air in the dough means no big bubbles.

nope!

Like I said it did flatten it, had to pop the bubble under the grill as it was going the pay of a chapati - one big bubble!

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 01:14 PM »
So, how come the Naan's didn't turn out well? You apparently know all about it.

Offline vindapoo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2013, 02:15 PM »
So, how come the Naan's didn't turn out well? You apparently know all about it.

no need to get so touchy!

If you read the thread you will see I switched from a non-yeast recipe to a yeast recipe.

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2013, 09:23 AM »
Well, try some other recipes and teach us how to make the perfect naan afterwards. You sure don't want to hear thoughts or advice so why bother making this thread if you're gonna debunk sensible suggestions as "urban myth". It's a sure-shot way of making sure that noone wants to contribute to the thread anymore, I fear. But we'll see.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2013, 09:48 AM »
Hi all
Im struggling with naans too. Tried loads of recipes both with and without yeast, and the conclusion I have come to is that yeast in naans is a no-no - they just dont taste right. I watched bits of the fabulous baker boys on the tele some weeks back, and it seems to me that naan dough is a sour dough....they used youghurt as a "starter". They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.....

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2013, 03:04 PM »
You'll find Naan recipes using only yeast, recipes using sourdough starter (which is also a yeast, btw), recipes using only baking soda, recipes using baking powder, and recipes using a combination of all leavening agents - if you search hard enough.

It's thinkable that a BIR would not use a yeasted dough because it could over-rise easily. Then again, Pizza shops always use yeast and they can use their dough all day. Most BIR recipes for Naan (I think I have more than 20 of them) use either Baking soda or Baking powder a combination of both. Some also use a tiny bit of yeast.

I don't think you'll find a BIR that uses a sourdough starter, though... have you ever used one? They are a lot of work.

I'll stay out of this discussion from now on so as not to turn off any others who might have "better" input.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2013, 05:16 PM »
You'll find Naan recipes using only yeast, recipes using sourdough starter (which is also a yeast, btw), recipes using only baking soda, recipes using baking powder, and recipes using a combination of all leavening agents - if you search hard enough.

It's thinkable that a BIR would not use a yeasted dough because it could over-rise easily. Then again, Pizza shops always use yeast and they can use their dough all day. Most BIR recipes for Naan (I think I have more than 20 of them) use either Baking soda or Baking powder a combination of both. Some also use a tiny bit of yeast.

I don't think you'll find a BIR that uses a sourdough starter, though... have you ever used one? They are a lot of work.

I'll stay out of this discussion from now on so as not to turn off any others who might have "better" input.

before you go can you clarify the difference between baking soda and baking powder?

I'm using this:

And I bought this yeast for my previous attempt.

Could you please validate if I'm using the right thing?

©2024 Curry Recipes