Author Topic: Hot Wok.  (Read 10906 times)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Hot Wok.
« on: October 07, 2006, 01:19 PM »
Thought I'd post this little baby for you all.
http://www.gardenbliss.co.uk/products/index.asp?TID=901&ID=2905
It is available everywere, this link is just an example so you know what it looks like, do a search & you will find loads & at very differing prices, eBay was the cheepest the last time i looked.

This is an amazing little piece of kit for those of us who don't have Gas Cookers & like myself prefer to cook outside (even in the Winter).
I have contacted the actual Manufactures & they have replied & confirm that this is a 7kw Gas Burner (i had my doubts & still do, I'm sure some of you peeps here will be able to clarify).
It is supposed to be an equivalent to a 7000 Watt Cooker, does this necessarily mean it is 7kw in Gas terms.
Cheers for now.
.....DARTHPHALL..... :)

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Hot Wok.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 02:00 PM »
Looks like the real deal Darth, my first thought was 30 cm pan isnt so large.. but thats actually larger than the pan i sometimes use for my curries at home.

Here is a little more information: http://www.eurocosm.com/Application/Products/Cooking-products/hot-wok-GB.asp

Nice find and reasonable price

Ashes

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 06:02 PM »
This is certainly the baby!  I saw ones similar to these out in the Middle East and SE Asia, and you can see they are very effective and feel can really the heat from them even out there.  I might invest in one for the next kitchen.  Thanks Darth, your the Yoda!

Happy Cooking
C P

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 08:05 PM »
 8)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 11:45 AM »
...I have contacted the actual Manufactures & they have replied & confirm that this is a 7kw Gas Burner (i had my doubts & still do, I'm sure some of you peeps here will be able to clarify).
It is supposed to be an equivalent to a 7000 Watt Cooker, does this necessarily mean it is 7kw in Gas terms.

Hi Darthphall,

I presume 7 kW (ie 7000 watts) is the power consumption of the burner using propane gas.  This equates to an energy consumption of approximately 25 megajoules per hour (ie 25 MJ/h), by my reckoning.

I know that the wok burner on my barbecue has an energy consumption of about 18MJ/h??so I?d say that a power consumption of about 7kW (ie 25 MJ/h) sounds about right for this burner.

Anyway, who cares, as long as it gets bloody hot and the curry catches alight!  ;D

?..I?m going for a 59 MJ/h (approximately 16 kW) burner!!!!!!!!!! ??..whoooooooooooooooooooooosh!   :o
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 11:50 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 03:20 PM »
I am awating with baited breath!  I bet we will see it on Google Earth!

CP

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 04:46 AM »
Just for completeness, I checked the energy consumption of my (bog standard) domestic gas cooker (natural gas), as follows:

• Smallest burner = 4 MJ/h (1.1 kW)
  • Medium burner = 7 MJ/h (1.9 kW)
  • Largest burner = 12 MJ/h (3.3 kW)

I think I read somewhere that Mark J thinks that a typical restaurant burner is about 4.5 kW?

So, thereafter:

• Typical barbecue wok burner = 18 MJ/h (5.0 kW)
  • Darth's "Hot Wok" = 25 MJ/h (7 kW)
  • My "soon-to-be toy" = 59 MJ/h (16 kW)
To try to put things into some perspective, I notice that those large, outdoor, free-standing, propane driven, patio heaters typically consume about 18 to 40 MJ/h
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 07:11 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 09:07 AM »
You don't half Gas on Cory Ander  :D Hehehehe :D ;D
Have got a link to your 16 Kw burner (is it's an outside one Gas burner similar to the Hot Wok?).

Cheers from .....DARTHPHALL..... :P

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 09:20 AM »
Thats the real deal Darth, exaclty what they used in all Takeaways in New Zealand.
Alas i am back in the UK now, jet lag is almost gone, ive had 3 curries already, its good to be back.

Why dont we see if we can form a little buying club for this product, if we can get an idea of numbers of people that might want to purchase i can approach them for a bulk discount....it may be worth as shot.

Stew ;D

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 09:35 AM »
EXCELLENT idea Stew  ;)
 "I want one for Christams Santa"!
We need to shop around for a good seller as there are many who sell it & the price can vary considerably.
Keep in touch.
Welcome back to "rip off Britain" AHEM ...sorry welcome home STU lol  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes