Author Topic: Midnight Snack  (Read 28762 times)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Midnight Snack
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 05:55 PM »
What kind of frying temps and durations did you use for the chips chewy, or was it a bit less scientific than that? Also how long do you wait between fryings?

It's just they look spot on so I assume you have your technique down

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 05:58 PM »
Great looking plate of food Chewy.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 09:00 AM »
Been drooling over that plate of benchmark curry n chips for days now!

Rob  :)

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 10:43 AM »
Been drooling over that plate of benchmark curry n chips for days now!

Rob  :)

Me too, although I do love the rice, both of Chewy's recent efforts with the chips and the roasties are just happiness on a plate. Either one with a few quality lager type accompaniments.  :P :P :P

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 11:39 AM »
Potato Update:
I asked the corner shop guy about his potatoes, what variety etc

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2013, 12:10 PM »
That's given me some inspiration for this evening.

I made up a batch of your 3h base, but added a kilo of chicken thighs to get some stock in the mix. This was really hard work to sieve down, but tastes really good.

I wasn't planning on curry tonight, but then I saw the chips. My missus has never sampled the delights of Madras and chips...might be my lucky night.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2013, 12:42 PM »
Hi NJ
I just use a cheap deep fat fryer, don't trust the temp gauge, where it says 160, I go for 180.

Up to temp - chips in, close lid, to trap the moisture. Leave as is and cook for 4mins.
Lift basket out of oil, shake, chips should have a bit colour, but be still hard.

Important bit - leave the basket on the rest above the oil and cover with the half closed lid
I usually use a dishcloth as a weight, to keep the hinged lid half closed.

Let the chips sit there and soften for 5mins or until your finishing up cooking your curry.

To finish, chips back in, no lid this time, cook in the hot oil for 3mins or until the chips start to
brown and crisp and importantly all float on the top of the oil.

You will know there good by the look of them, or just test one by squeezing it between finger and thumb.

N.B. The final 3min cooking needs your attention, many times I've been distracted and gone back to a basket of
completely browned chips, which is not good.

cheers Chewy

Thanks chewy, being able to cook good chips from potatoes is one of those valuable but elusive skills which sometimes does elude me. I've had good results with potatoes microwaved for 6 mins then rested for 2 mins and sliced into wedges, then deep fried for 4 mins on 180 or so, but very variable according to the type of spud (which varies so much from the supermarket, even for identically marked bags).

But can I clarify - when you said "where it says 160, I go for 180." Does that mean you are setting the thermostat on your fryer to 160 but you actually think it's probably heating the oil to 180 C, or vice versa? Also, you're starting with peeled and sliced potatoes with no pre soaking, patting dry, etc? And both fryings are carried out at the same temp.?

There are many website and YouTube videos claiming a definitive method to cook "the perfect chip" but I've had disappointing results with most.

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 12:53 PM »
The link doesn't work but I've had perfect results usingh this method. I don't even have a deep fat fryer.

"As my control, I'm using a recipe developed by chef Mark Hix for the British Potato Council (pdf), on the grounds that it seems fairly standard in terms of method and ingredients and, thanks to the BPC has a pleasingly official ring to it. The potatoes are peeled and cut into 1cm thick chips. These are washed, dried and par-boiled, then drained and left to cool. The chips are then blanched in a pan or fryer of oil at 120C until soft, but not coloured, and then patted dry. At the last minute, they go back into the pan at 160C to crisp up ? according to David and Si Hairy-Biker, who look like chaps who enjoy a good fish supper, double-frying is "the secret of good chips"."

From a Guardain article on the perfect fish and chips.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/sep/29/how-cook-perfect-battered-fish

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 02:11 PM »
This cheap fat fryer doesn't seem to get as hot as I like it, so I just set it higher to compensate.

At the same temp throughout 180 (which is probably 160.)

I just cut the chips, then quickly wash the starch off, drain and shake the excess water off,
sometimes I pat them dry a little, mostly I don't bother and put them straight in the fryer.

The first time i've ever timed and documented what I do when cooking chips.
Perfect I doubt, can't imagine there is such a thing. To many variables ;)

cheers Chewy

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2013, 05:03 PM »
Thanks chewy. When you run that into the ground the asda "professional" DF300 fryer at

©2024 Curry Recipes