Author Topic: Three baltis  (Read 251370 times)

Online mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Three baltis
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 10:48 AM »
Just been reading my own blurb from when I made the Kushi base.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,11545.msg89039.html#msg89039

I was getting there.  The texture was very close, but the taste?  Something was missing.  Couldn't put my finger on it, but whatever it was it lifted the Birmingham Balti to dizzy heights.  I think I know what it is now.  Almost certain. Only problem now is how to make it.

Rob  :)

Look forward to reading about it Bob.Just hope it has nothing to do with Mrs Patak or thats another recipe in the bin (for me anyhow)

Rgds Mick  ::)

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 01:15 PM »
We may have to wait for the e-book Mick :D

les

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 02:10 PM »

Look forward to reading about it Bob.Just hope it has nothing to do with Mrs Patak or thats another recipe in the bin (for me anyhow)

Rgds Mick  ::)

No Pataks Mick.  Here's the deal. 

I've been back to the Adil. In search of that dry balti/karahi I've been gassing on about.  This time, I ordered a karahi chicken (requested extra dry) and, for the good lady, a balti chicken (as it comes, not madras hot).  Last time I also ordered a chilli bhaji starter.  Funny little starter.  Whole bullet chillies, deep fried in batter.  You get 5 or 6 per portion.  I was offered mint or chilli dip to go with it.  I picked the mint.  Very tasty.  So this time I ordered them again, and happily got both dips thrown in. Also bough a couple of naans.  There's several well known Pakistani karahi places on Ladypool Road, so on the way back to the car I popped into one for a nosey.  Plenty of karahi dishes on display here, but none appeared anything like what I was looking for, so I didn't buy any. I was of course hoping my karahi from the Adil would be the answer to my prayers.  I couldn't resist some tandoori lamb chops though. I digress. Got this lot at about 1.00 pm. Another nice thing about the Adil is that it's open from lunchtime Saturdays. Rather pleased with myself on the way home. I'm still missing my hob desperately, but lot's of food ready for the evening.  Just needing a warm-up. Balti/karahi night. Sorted!

At home later the missus needed some convincing that her balti was going to be spot on.  She likes my curries, but anything remotely sub-standard/iffy from a TA/restaurant will be rejected, point blank. Very fussy. Very fussy indeed. I was confident she would like the Adil balti though. I'd had a sneaky taste of it.  Absolutely gorgeous. I marvelled at those amazing balti aromas again.  How do they do it I wondered.  Also noted that this balti chicken was truly identical in taste and texture to the one I had the other week, except for the extra heat I had requested.  Consistency is also wonderful thing.

Anyway, evening came and I set about warming up the lamb chops (for myself).  Also started on the chilli bhaji-ettes.  Spikey little fellows, so I dunked them one by one into the mint dip.  Nice dip, lots of mint, quite a bit of chilli too. One taste of the lamb chops and they went straight in the bin.  Horrible, synthetic smoky flavouring, of the type encountered in supermarket ready-made barbecue meals.  Thank goodness I had the chilli bhaji to fall back on, otherwise the evening would have been off to a really bad start. I transferred the balti chicken and karahi into proper foil TA containers, for gentle re-heating in the oven.  I don't really like plastic TA containers.  There's always temptation to re-heat in the micro, which is a risky business. A chef I know reckons some curries in plastic containers can also "leak" their water into the gravy.  Personally, I think curries just taste better in foil containers, compared to plastic.

One look at the karahi served and it was obviously not what I had hoped.  Superb dish though. I reckon freshly cooked from scratch.  Lots of whole spices with emphasis on cumin.  Only regret was that I didn't go with the on-the-bone option for the dish.  The good lady sampled her balti and gave it the big thumbs-up.  "Why don't you make a curry like this?", she said.  I said nothing, and sulked.  She noticed one thing that I missed last time.  Some of the chicken strips were thigh meat and not breast.  She doesn't like dark meat as a rule, but felt is worked brilliantly in terms of overall flavour here.  Certainly one idea to try at home

So that was it.  Great food overall.  But this is where it got interesting. As I was tidying up I spotted one bhaji-ette remaining.  All the mint dip had gone, so I opened the previously untouched chilli dip, and stuck it in this.  Hmm. Hot stuff.  Nice. Hang on a minute. What's this?  My head snapped back in total bewilderment.  You have GOT to be joking!  I cried out.  NO WAY!  All, and I mean all, of the balti aromatics were right there, in abundance, in the bloomin' chilli dip!  The penny dropped. This was a fairly generic shop-bought chilli sauce, to which something had been added, and that something is almost certainly a form of GM.  No ordinary GM mind.  This is special GM, specific to the balti.  The aromas were blindingly obvious, even the florals.  I chuckled when I was also able to pick out that subtle flavour of coriander seed, as evident in the balti I mentioned the other week. 

I expect this GM, if that is what it is, is used both to make the mix powder, and added late in cooking. I also think it will be tricky to get a balti chef to reveal the recipe for this ingredient. Can't blame them really.  The secret of the Birmingham Balti? Changed for each restaurant, to give a unique "signature", but still the definitive real-deal balti taste. I'd give my right arm for that recipe.  With this, a bit more work on the texture, and sweetness, I reckon it would be straightforward to nail the balti, once and for all.

I am just trying to remember how many Cobras I had that night. Not too many, if I remember correctly.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 06:04 PM »
Brilliant write-up, Rob, and equally brilliant detective work.  If the good Dr Watson is planning to retire in the near future, I would strongly recommend you apply to Mr Holmes for the vacancy.

** Phil.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 09:35 PM »
Brilliant write-up, Rob, and equally brilliant detective work.  If the good Dr Watson is planning to retire in the near future, I would strongly recommend you apply to Mr Holmes for the vacancy.

** Phil.

Yup.  It's a major balti breakthrough Phil.  Sorry for all the typos; it must be the excitement. Been staring at the bit of chilli dip I have left over all day, and you can actually see that there's been a coarse powder sprinkled into it.  Tantalisingly close to the balti grail, just out of reach.  Homing in on it though.  Coriander seed, almost certainly roasted, is a definite.  A standard addition to a GM. But there's also kewra water in the dip; no doubt about it.  It's faint, but it's there. Other things I can't place.  My nose is completely worn out.  Gave the pot to the good lady for a quick whiff, and she confirmed that, yes, it's definitely the balti aromas. 

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 01:25 AM »
Hi Rob
It's really weird about Balti around here, but it's nearly off the menu altogether these days.
Used to have its own section on menus, now its just lumped in with the classic dishes.

Would be good if you could get the original Pakistani version sussed out.  8)

In the 80's when it arrived here, I remember a new trendy restaurant (at the time) called Zolza and
they served the Balti as I remember in the big Balti dish with Naan.
It was the only curry with whole spices Bay Leaf, Cassia and a dried Red chilli. plus the Chicken was cooked fresh.

If your latest GM doesn't taste like Pataks Balti Paste, get yourself a box of MANGAL Balti Masala powder
it could be close, you never know.  ;)

cheers Chewy

Online mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 10:09 AM »
Bob
Firstly my apologies to you for not replying further. A truly inspirational discovery. It certainly inspires me on again in the search for one of Birminghams finest inventions - The Balti. Still as popular as ever around here. Your discovery just ticks so many boxes and answers sheds full of questions. Excellent work. You are The Man lol

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 11:11 AM »
I'm picking up faint notes of aniseed now.  Anyone remember this stuff?  By crikey there are similarities.

Just thinking of a title for my e-book.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 11:20 AM »
Just thinking of a title for my e-book.

Well, if you are going to work with Mr Holmes in future, perhaps something along the lines of "The mysterious case of the tindaloo that didn't burn in the night" ...

** Phil.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 01:13 PM »
I'll certainly try the Mangal balti masala Chewy.  The Balti Triangle dishes are a million miles away from Patak's balti paste.  I've tried it and it went straight in the bin.  Not to say a good "curry" can't be made using it. The taste here though is completely different. it's light, somehow floral, and very fragrant; difficult to describe. Just been perusing Authentic Balti Curry and, perhaps unsurprisingly, there is no recipe for the GM in the mix powder.

http://www.balti-birmingham.co.uk/about-balti/bpost-on-the-balti

Next stop. Al Frash.

©2024 Curry Recipes