Author Topic: I've Been Shopping  (Read 11977 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: I've Been Shopping
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2019, 09:14 AM »
Well, I approve of everything apart from the curry powder !
** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2019, 10:04 AM »
It should keep me going for a little while London.  In a way I'm pleased I don't live close (my wallet) but it is such a fun thing to do. There is so much stuff that I have absolutely no idea about and so much more that you just know you need to try.

Phil, Mothers Recipe is a pretty nice powder and I've been using it for a couple of years now. I still like my Clive of India but it's pretty good. I can now turn all my old spices into curry powder. ;) and give it to my family. They won't know the difference. ;D

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2019, 10:50 AM »
Phil, Mothers Recipe is a pretty nice powder and I've been using it for a couple of years now. I still like my Clive of India but it's pretty good. I can now turn all my old spices into curry powder. ;) and give it to my family. They won't know the difference. ;D

"Mother's recipe"  curry powder does not appear to be (easily) available over here, but nonetheless I am intrigued to know for what you use it.  Do you use it as part of a "mix[ed] powder", or as the basis for a curry, or what ?  One recipe using it would be of interest (to me, at least).

** Phil.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 11:06 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2019, 06:54 PM »
I do use it as part of mixed powder Phil but I also use it whenever a recipe calls for a curry powder. The recipe I use for Masala Shrimp says to use either Garam Masala or curry powder.  I actually prefer it made using 50/50.  When I make curried sausages I use this or Clive of India or I mix the two. Curried egg for sandwiches. A touch of curry powder can be used to add a little extra to many things, even a roast chicken sprinkled with a mix of curry powder and chicken seasoning. My wife always puts a little in her winter pumpkin soup. Chinese curry prawns and rice.  Recently I found out about British takeaway curry sauce for chips so I'll be giving this nasty stuff a test soon.

I also use it to do quick pre-cooked chicken instead of the elaborate methods described. Water, some base gravy and a tablespoon of curry powder.  I actually have about 5 or 6 (or more) different curry powders. Clive, Mother's, Nirapara, Kitchen King, my own home made mild Madras and a couple of others.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2019, 08:53 PM »
LC's comments in the Punjabi Masala thread again highlighted the issue I (and others) face in not being able to obtain the UK branded products often noted as being essential to achieving the flavour intended in a dish. This makes me ask, are these spice blends product of the UK? Or are they product of India made specifically for the UK market?

My recent trip to Udaya supermarket showed that almost everything available over here is a direct product of India. When I google the Aussie available brands I see the Indian company but when I google the UK brands I see only UK market links. It would appear that the UK products are restricted in availability overseas.  Or are we getting the same things rebranded for the different international markets?  The UK Rajah branded product is only available to me at exorbitant eBay prices although I do see reference to a South African Rajah brand available here but in different packaging and it is product of South Africa and targeted to the expatriate South African market. East End is clearly a UK brand but I see it says foreign produce packed in the UK.

Just wondering and I know it won't really change anything but it often comes up that not being in the UK means I'm not getting the true BIR reference point. I really can't say.  There are some branded products that are available to me like the Laziza brand which I eventually found but only in the big city.

To go back to LC'S point, there are many different Tandoori Masala available here but not the 2 you mention. Did it really make that much difference? I'll probably never experience it for myself.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2019, 10:32 PM »
.... A touch of curry powder can be used to add a little extra to many things, even a roast chicken sprinkled with a mix of curry powder and chicken seasoning.

Here's one I prepared earlier.   :D 

No, this was last night's dinner and the aroma of this baking is amazing.  An oiled roasting pan, a whole chicken on a bed of sliced onion and quartered squeezed lemon skins. I also put onion and lemon skins inside the cavity. Pour the lemon juice over the chicken, rub with garlic paste and season with a sprinkling of chicken stock powder (or salt) and curry powder.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2019, 11:42 PM »
No, this was last night's dinner and the aroma of this baking is amazing.  An oiled roasting pan, a whole chicken on a bed of sliced onion and quartered squeezed lemon skins. I also put onion and lemon skins inside the cavity. Pour the lemon juice over the chicken, rub with garlic paste and season with a sprinkling of chicken stock powder (or salt) and curry powder.

Not entirely disimilar to the chicken piri-piri recipe I was taught by Fred Hopper [1].  Take a whole chicken, make stab wounds all over with the blade of a sharp slim knife, and stuff the wounds with garlic and ginger.  Make a stuffing of garlic, ginger, onions and green pepper.  Oil the bird, then dredge with ground chillies, ground ginger, cayenne pepper and black pepper.  For those who like it suicidally hot, include green chillies in the stab wounds and stuffing.  Cook in a hot oven basting very frequently, cook the roast potaoes in the spiced oil with the bird, and make the gravy with the spicy residue after removing excess oil.  A dish made in Heaven, IMHO.

** Phil.
--------
[1] I know Fred got the recipe from Madagascar, Mauritius or Mozambique, but I can no longer remember which.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 08:25 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2019, 02:00 AM »
Sounds good no matter which origins it has.   I may have to give it a go.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2019, 03:09 AM »
While I was there I had a snack at the adjoined t/a. 5 Onion Pakoda for $2.50 and 2 spicy Chicken Rolls for $1 a piece. Yummo.

I had never seen these Spicy Indian Fried Chicken Rolls until I tried them in Sydney last week.  Today I found these and it looks like them.  I'll be giving these a try at my next Indian Banquet night, or maybe before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5wS6ksYamA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoW_dpjOdnQ

There were 10, but Mrs L came home and saw what I was doing so 1 of them didn't make it.  I used a hybrid of the 2 video recipes.  If you try the second one using home made wrappers I'd suggest 4 1/2 - 5 cups of water for the 2 cups of flour. I only used about 4 and they were a bit thick. I made 10 so a thinner batter would give around a dozen.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 06:18 AM by livo »

©2024 Curry Recipes