Author Topic: I've Been Shopping  (Read 11969 times)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
I've Been Shopping
« on: September 27, 2013, 05:14 PM »
 8)

3 bunches of methi, 9 bunches of coriander, 1kg green chillies (not shown) 10kg onions, 10kg rice
red lentils and channa dal, patthar ke phool (dagarful) mild madras powder, lemon dressing
1kg garlic, 1kg ginger, fried onions, cassia , brown mustard seeds, black peppercorns
mr naga, garlic powder, fennel seeds, pomegranate molasses, veg ghee and butter ghee

and corned mutton.  ;D

unfortunately, couldn't find any shatkora anywhere in Blackburn.  ::)

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 05:45 PM by DalPuri »

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: I've Been Shopping
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 05:37 PM »
I'll have to try that corned mutton, I'm a sucker for corned beef hash, this will add a bit of variety.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 06:18 PM »
Nice little shop there Frank  ;D  Frozen shatkora no problem round here.  I know the fruit is seasonal and i'm not sure whether it's currently in or out :-\  I did manage to track down some shatkora pickle eventually after months of trying but as yet the jar remains unopened.  I'm intrigued by patthar ke phool (dagarful)?  What the **** is it and what do you use it for ??? And also the pomegranate molasses?  A condiment i've not seen before.  I wish i could buy some veg ghee the size you have in the pic.  All i can get is the small industrial size of 12.5 kilos  :o :o Sure i'd get through it but storage space could be an issue  :-\

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 06:52 PM »
Nice little shop there Frank  ;D  Frozen shatkora no problem round here.  I know the fruit is seasonal and i'm not sure whether it's currently in or out :-\  I did manage to track down some shatkora pickle eventually after months of trying but as yet the jar remains unopened.  I'm intrigued by patthar ke phool (dagarful)?  What the **** is it and what do you use it for ??? And also the pomegranate molasses?  A condiment i've not seen before.  I wish i could buy some veg ghee the size you have in the pic.  All i can get is the small industrial size of 12.5 kilos  :o :o Sure i'd get through it but storage space could be an issue  :-\

Hi CH,
Checked out the freezers and the shelves around Blackburn but no shatkora for me. :(
The patthar ke phool is a lichen with a lemony flavour (apparently) not tried it yet. First saw it in this recipe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ9jb73zuSchttp://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,6305.msg90870.html#msg90870

The pomegranate molasses came from one of Goncalo's posts,(re Pasanda i think)  thought i'd give it a try.  :)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 06:56 PM »
Looks like you had a fun day bud.

Payday and you did your best to blow it on curry stuff? You must be single :)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 07:04 PM »
Nah, Everyone knows Asian supermarkets are the cheapest places to shop.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 07:15 PM »
Nah, Everyone knows Asian supermarkets are the cheapest places to shop.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 08:10 PM »
Two pound seventy three?

You bought the corned mutton and shop-lifted the rest? Tut-tut :)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 12:08 PM »
How unfortunate.  ::)

The spice which ive been after for a while now has turned out to be the flavour i really hate!  :(

i bought some natco gm to try :-\ 
revolting flavour if you ask me, its going straight in the bin ;)

What do you think about the flavour of the Natco GM?
My old man really liked it, and me aunt, but i hated it.! Couldnt quite put my finger on what spice was in there that i found so repulsive. :-\

Patthar ke phool (dagarful) is the predominant flavour in Natco GM.
Well at least now i know. Too Indian for me! Its like adding a couple of incense sticks to a curry.  :o

p.s. Its becoming a bit of a habit answering my own questions on here.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 12:16 PM »
Its becoming a bit of a habit answering my own questions on here.
Don't stop though, as i'm sure some of us will benefit  ;)  Who knows, this observation may help BB and JerryM in their balti quest  ???

©2024 Curry Recipes