Author Topic: Homemade Pataks Tikka Paste  (Read 13727 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Homemade Pataks Tikka Paste
« on: September 29, 2013, 08:17 PM »
I spent most of Friday trying to re-create the Pataks Tikka paste.

This is a first attempt and I have to say I am pleased with the outcome. The only ingredients I did not have which are widely used commercially, mainly I would imagine as a preservative are the lactic and acetic acids which are included in the original Pataks Tikka paste.

Having made this, I have marinaded 15kg of Chicken breast today which I will turn into a Chicken Tikka Masala tomorrow lunchtime. I used Blades original recipe for the Tikka which I have modified slightly by adding smoked Paprika. I do this because I do not have a Tandoori oven or BBQ readily available at the UNI, and the smoked Paprika gives the finished Tikka that "Smokey" flavour.

I will continue to improve this, but it isn't that far off the original, having got some of the other chef's to do a comparison taste. We'll see how the Chicken Tikka comes out tomorrow.

I think next time I will try more Tamarind as I only had 100g of it left but have ordered some more.

Hopefully, this will help all the other members who cannot get the Pataks products in their area to be able to produce a homemade version and I would love people to try this and let me have their feedback please.

Ingredients 1st time round:

100g Tamarind in 350ml of hot water
8 Tbsp Ground Coriander
6 Tbsp Ground Cumin
2 Tbsp Salt
3 Tbsp Paprika
1 Tbsp Ground Mustard Seeds (I ground both Yellow and Black Mustard seeds together)
1 Tbsp Ground Ginger Powder
1 Tbsp Garlic Salt
Juice of 2 Lemons
4 Tbsp White wine Vinegar
1 Tbsp Caster Sugar
3 Tbsp Tomato Puree
16 Tbsp Sunflower Oil

Mix the whole lot together to form a paste.

Mine is on the left with Pataks being on the right.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Homemade Pataks Tikka Paste
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 08:23 PM »

This is a first attempt and I have to say I am pleased with the outcome. The only ingredients I did not have which are widely used commercially, mainly I would imagine as a preservative are the lactic and acetic acids which are included in the original Pataks Tikka paste.

Good work, Bob, but I am puzzled by the lack of acetic acid.  As I'm 100% confident that you know, acetic acid is (in effect) vinegar (that is, vinegar is typically 5% to 10% acetic acid with flavourings and water).  So as you have already added wine vinegar, do you feel that the omission of acetic acid per se will have any significant effect ?

** Phil.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 08:39 PM »

Good work, Bob, but I am puzzled by the lack of acetic acid.  As I'm 100% confident that you know, acetic acid is (in effect) vinegar (that is, vinegar is typically 5% to 10% acetic acid with flavourings and water).  So as you have already added wine vinegar, do you feel that the omission of acetic acid per se will have any significant effect ?

** Phil.

** Phil.

Hi Phil,

Vinegars come in different forms and all have different flavours. I used what was available to me at the time.

Obviously, there will always be a difference between a commercially made product to a homemade product, but it is quite close already and I think with a little more tinkering will bring it even closer.

Give it a try and let me have your feedback :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 09:17 PM »
Bob

Is the tamarind you used a block or is it the concentrate you get in tubs?

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 09:24 PM »
Bob

Is the tamarind you used a block or is it the concentrate you get in tubs?

Hi Stephen,

It's the block. I added this to the hot water and beat it about a bit, then strained the juice through. I repeated this twice.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 09:38 PM »
Good work Bob. Those that are unable or unwilling to use commercial pastes will appreciate your endeavours no end.  I am more than willing to sample the tikka if you'd lke a second opinion  ;)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 09:41 PM »
Good work Bob. Those that are unable or unwilling to use commercial pastes will appreciate your endeavours no end.  I am more than willing to sample the tikka if you'd lke a second opinion  ;)

Thanks Dave, by all means give it a try and let me have your feedback :)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 09:45 PM »
I was looking at the troughs of the stuff and looking for an invite  ;)  I didn't expect to have to do anything  Bob :o :o :o

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 09:59 PM »
I was looking at the troughs of the stuff and looking for an invite  ;)  I didn't expect to have to do anything  Bob :o :o :o

LOL, I kinda thought you were angling in that direction, but gave you the option of trying it out for yourself.

If you want to try anything I make, you are always welcome to come down to the UNI on a Thursday night, which is Indian night :)

This week it will be:

Garlic Chilli Chicken Masala
Chicken Dopiaza
Vegetarian Jalfrezi
Pilao Rice
Naans, Poppadoms
Chutneys: Mango, Homemade - Yogurt Mint Sauce, Cucumber Raita, Coriander Chutney
Special: Veggie Samosa, Onion Bhaji served in a bowl with Tarka Dhal

We start service at 17:00 hrs :)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 10:04 PM »
My mouth is watering already.  Do those students appreciate how lucky they are????  It's a trip to far normally but i am on holiday in a weeks time mate.  I'll PM you if my Thurs eve is free and i can venture south of the river  for uni fare ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes