Author Topic: Chicken tikka dhansak courtesy of CBM  (Read 31409 times)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken tikka dhansak courtesy of CBM
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2013, 08:49 PM »
Cheers CT.  Very impressed with the dish but will tweak a fraction next time.

It is a shame, but all the genuine cooks who post their stuff on cr0, have to try and ignore the armchair fantasy cooks far too often.
Couldn't agree more  ;D
As for the dhal being "complex", slight exageration possibly.  But maybe it's the preparation put in that puts some restaurants head and shoulder above all the rest  ???
I too like the pineapple touch but it could so easily be overdone and ruin the dish.  I certainly agree on the Fatima overkill with the sugar.  As you say, it's hard enough to thicken the dish without burning.  With all that syrup running around it could so easily all end in tears  :'( I noticed very quickly the sauces behaviour compared to what one would normally expect. By habit, I always use a thinnish base.
I'll revisit your vids on dhansak.  It will be interesting to do a comparison as i seem to be developping a taste for all things dhall  ::)

Also the order of the ingredients, can have an effect on the final dish.

I think i may have hinted at my suspicions of this in a post in the past.  Last week this was confirmed, having previously cooked one on the best Elaichi NIS ever, I cooked it a few days later, with a slight change in the sequence of adding ingredients.  All the ingredients were the same.  The effect was detrimental.  The dish went from being a  fantastic copy of one of my favourite dishes to a reasonable take on the dish, tastey but nowhere near as good.
Maybe this simple thing can be as easily overlooked as the need to "singe" the spices in certain dishes  ;D

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2013, 09:00 PM »
Nice work CH.

I think the addition of Pineapple juice makes this dish. I recently made it without and it was good but the pineapple gives it a succulent sweet and sour taste, not too sickly sweet and not too bitter.

I started off making CA's recipe for this and Dhal recipe that is linked to it is the one I always use. Really heavy on the garlic, plus I add a few extra green chillis. If you use real chicken stock in this, it's a winner.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2013, 09:02 PM »
I'm new to this forum

where will I find this recipe  Please
  For the price of a pint each, get them both. 

You'll need them both if you wish to cook it to spec.  ;)

8-10 tablespoons of pre-cooked Dhal (see Volume 1)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2013, 09:10 PM »
You'll need them both if you wish to cook it to spec.  ;)
I don't think Mick would mind if i improved on his recipe  ;)

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2013, 07:58 AM »
Nice work CH
A dish ive never made at home
Did order once in a new TA last year by the chefs recommendation
And was pleasantly surprised how much i enjoyed it
From what i recall a slight smoky flavour. I don't remember pineapple but that might be regional or i missed it due to alcohol  :o
My next home curry will be a dhansak
So thanks again CH for giving me the push i need every now and then  ;D

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2013, 08:58 AM »
I love dhansak, but for me lamb works better than chicken, and regardless of whether lamb or chicken it /has/ to be accompanied by onion salad and hot lime pickle, otherwise most of the pleasure is lost.

** Phil.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2013, 01:11 PM »
Did order once in a new TA last year by the chefs recommendation
And was pleasantly surprised how much i enjoyed it
From what i recall a slight smoky flavour.

That could be the same type of flavour I like in a dhansak. If we meet next week and I order a dhansak, we should be able to see. But it currently looks like only three of us for London (pathetic!). I think it was only moved to Thursday, because that was Stew's preference but, as he hasn't responded, perhaps he can't make it, in which case why don't we move the get-together to a Saturday so that curryhell might be able to join us?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2013, 02:02 PM »
That could be the same type of flavour I like in a dhansak. If we meet next week and I order a dhansak, we should be able to see. But it currently looks like only three of us for London (pathetic!). I think it was only moved to Thursday, because that was Stew's preference but, as he hasn't responded, perhaps he can't make it, in which case why don't we move the get-together to a Saturday so that curryhell might be able to join us?
Fine by me.  I have a cremation and funeral service on that day anyway, so would not be wonderful company over dinner.  Let's go for a weekend by all means, but do bear in mind that the good places will be busy then, so we will want to check opening hours and get there shortly after they open for evening service.  Also let's not let it slip too far, or we wil be into the pre-Christmas build-up.

Follow-ups to the "Let's meet up thread", please, so as not to risk being accused of hijacking this one.

** Phil.

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2013, 07:38 PM »
Hi All

I spent last week making CBM gravy and spice mix from ebook two.  Also made various curries which I froze for future use including this curry.  I defrosted and ate it tonight.

This recipe hits the spot with the right balance of hot, sweet and sour!  I am also a fan of having the pineapple chunks in a dhansak.  recommended :)

regards

barry

Offline john the man

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2013, 07:25 PM »
chewytikka     Armchair fantasy cook           What Ever.....................

Just new asking questions................

©2024 Curry Recipes