Author Topic: Curry Paste  (Read 4203 times)

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Curry Paste
« on: October 13, 2006, 04:02 PM »
Lizzie Collinghams book "Curry, a biography" has many interesting recipes as well as a "riveting and accessible history of indian food and culture".

Here is a recipe for economical :o curry paste from Daniel Santigoe?s "The curry cook?s assistent"

1lb Coriander Seeds
1/4 Dried Chillies
1/2 Mustard Seed
2oz. Garlic
1/2 lb Dried peas
2 oz. Cummin seeds
1/2 Pint of Lucca oil

1/4 lb Saffron
1/4 lb Pepper
2 oz. Dry ginger
1/2 lb salt
1/2 Pint of vinegar

Grind with vingegar, put in a large jar and cover with Lucca oil.
Use a large spoonful for Madras curries.

Personally I like the 1/4lb of Saffron :o and the dried peas :)

Although Pat Chapmans curry powder recipe uses ata flour which is like chickpea flour and is very good.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 04:04 PM by Ashes »

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Curry Paste
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 05:13 PM »
Ashes, goodness gracious me. A quarter pound of Saffron!!!!!!! ::) surely not!  I reckon thats going to cost a few hundred pounds (UKBP) at least.  Anyone want to shares in the new curry paste investement club?

Cheers
CP

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 06:33 PM »
Youre right ole chap, the most expensive spice in the world (or atleast one of the most) its probably more expensive than gold by weight...

I would guess this recipe is from an english or european trying to recreate a curry paste.. and  mistaking turmeric for saffron.. there is a reason why saffron is sold in so small amounts and thats because its very strong stuff (expensive too).. although saffron which is cooked over a long period loses its flavour (so i recall).

Saffron is used in swedish buns at certain times of the year and you only need a little. Actually, thinking about it, the actual spice is dangerous to animals.. and i would imgine poisonous to humans in large quantities.

Many years ago i arrived in Sweden to be with my "as to be" wife. Got myself on the the langauge course and got a part time job in a bakery (cleaning). The job was straight forward and not at all demanding language wise, one day one of the bakers came over and showed me a large jar of saffron, how much do you think that costs to buy? I cant remember my answer, but i remember it was a silly price and i presume he bought it trade and still well below marked price.

So i wouldnt recommend anyone actually try this curry paste, but a variation might well work. Btw, saffron is used in kashmiri cooking isnt it?

Regards Ashes

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 06:46 PM »
:o Quarter pound of saffron - a kings ransom in some circles . :)

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 10:05 AM »
Yes Ashes, by weight Saffron id more expensive than gold.  Spanish Saffron is the best and the most widely used in classic cuisine.  There are many poor quality imitations, which are suitable for Asian cuisine.

Happy Cooking
CP

Offline mistress of spices

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 04:40 PM »
I am sure I will be public enemy no 1, BUT I personally think saffron is overrated not to mention expensive. I rather have a gold chain around my neck  ;D
 there are plenty of other spices that work wonders if you know how & when to use the!

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 05:00 PM »
 ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 08:39 AM »
I am sure I will be public enemy no 1, BUT I personally think saffron is overrated not to mention expensive

I couldn't agree more Mistress ("Mistress"...now, why does that role off the tongue so nicely?!  ;)).

I don't think Saffron is used much in BIR cooking (if at all?).

It's undoubtedly used more in authentic Indian cooking (in rices and birianis, etc).

Anyway, you're the Mistress of Spices, you would know ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes