Author Topic: Curryhell's Samosa recipe  (Read 74617 times)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Curryhell's Samosa recipe
« Reply #120 on: August 14, 2018, 07:43 AM »
What a great idea, Sverige! Traditional shape or not, I agree with Garp, they look excellent. Must keep my eyes open for those moulds in Lidl.

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 14, 2018, 10:03 AM »
Yeah it's worth giving this recipe a try. I still like the traditional triangular  shape samosa the best, but for ease I will be sticking with my Cornish pasty moulds I think.

I mix the pastry up in my mini Kenwood ch180a chopper thingy, with 180g flour, 2.25 tbsp oil, half level tsp salt (blitz these together) then add 40g warm water, blitz again then a further 35g warm water, blitz one more time then turn out into a small bowl and press together into a dough ball, cover and into the fridge overnight.

I think those are the same proportions from the OP, certainly I've never found a reason to vary from curryhell's recipe except to reduce a little bit the amount of potato in a batch of filling.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 09, 2021, 12:10 PM »
What happened to the recipe in Curryhell's first post in this thread?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 09, 2021, 07:28 PM »
Dunno, Guv.  Archive.org has not archived it, and Google's cached version is identical to the truncated version now found here.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 09, 2021, 08:32 PM »
That's very odd (if not worrying. What other posts may have been altered?). I see George "edited" it. Did he remove it for some strange reason? I also recall George being very negative about the recipe and that post also has disappeared. Unless I'm confuddling it with another post on Curryhell's samosas.

I've got what might be the original recipe but as I prefer it with double quantities of spices I'm not sure if I've amended the original to my tastes or not. I suppose I'll have to make some and find out.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 09, 2021, 09:07 PM »
That's very odd (if not worrying. What other posts may have been altered?). I see George "edited" it. Did he remove it for some strange reason? I also recall George being very negative about the recipe and that post also has disappeared. Unless I'm confuddling it with another post on Curryhell's samosas.

There's no way I would have reduced anyone's recipe to a few lines. You are correct that I was a dissenting voice in terms of not liking the flavour of the filling. I made the criticism in another thread while having a difference of opinion with curryhell. So the 'system' must have scrapped most of the recipe in error. Not good. What else has been lost from the forum? If you look at posts #19, 29 and 30 you can see curryhell ask me to make an edit, then thank me for the action, and then 976bar say he's only just seen the recipe. He wouldn't have said that if I had deleted it, would he?

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 09, 2021, 09:38 PM »
Think this might be the original recipe.
Samosa filling (CH)
One recipe of lamb or potato will be enough for 14 -16 average size samosas

450grm pack of minced lamb/mutton or beef (or 750grms cooked whole potatoes with skin on)
2tbs of oil
½ medium onion finely chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
One level tsp of ginger garlic paste
3 small fresh chillies finely chopped
1 cup of frozen peas

Spice Mix
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp mix powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1tsp methi leaves
½ tsp garam masala
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp salt
Mix these all together

Method
1.   Brown the minced meat and cook until the fat is cooked out.  Drain the fat off
2.   Heat oil on high.  Add cumin seed and cook for 30 seconds until it’s sizzling
3.   Add onion and continue to cook for 2 minutes
4.   Add ginger garlic and fry for a minute or so until the water is cooked out.
5.   Add the frozen peas and cook for 2 minutes until hot
6.   Reduce heat to low and add the mince back to the pan
7.   Add spices and mix thoroughly
8.   Cook for five minutes, stirring frequently to avoid any sticking on the bottom of the pan.  Add one tbs water and mix if mixture starts to stick.  Repeat as necessary being careful not to create any sauce
9.   Remove from heat and leave to cool

For potato filling, peel cooked potatoes and crush with a fork, giving them a good mixing.  Alternatively peel and chop them into ¼ inch squares.
Follow steps 2 to 7 substituting the mince with the potato.  Cook for 2 – 3 minutes folding the mixture constantly to prevent it sticking.  Add 1 tbs water if things start to stick. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
I also like to use a simplified more traditional spice mixture excluding turmeric and mix powder but including amchoor powder and crushed red chilli.  You can experiment with this until you arrive at your ideal spice combination.

Samosa pastry
This is pretty standard and is featured already in a couple of samosa recipes on the site.  The quantities make 8 discs approximately 8 inches in diameter, enough for 16 samosas.

225gm plain flour
4 dsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ajwain or kalonji seeds (optional)
170ml WARM water

Method
1.   Mix all the dry ingredients together. 
2.   Add the olive oil and rub through the flour until you have a breadcrumb texture
3.   Make a well and add 5oz (140ml) of the warm water
4.   Mix well to form a STIFF dough adding additional water a tsp at a time until all the flour is incorporated into the dough and the mixing bowl is clean.  Although the dough will be stiff it must be pliable and not dry.
5.   Add one more tsp of water and work this through the dough until all moisture has been absorbed.
6.   Cover with cling film and leave in a warm place for at least half an hour.  A good sign is when the dough starts to develop little white pimples.
7.   At this stage the dough can be frozen or put in the fridge but before use it must be allowed to (defrost if frozen and then) rest at room temperature for 3 hours or more before use.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 09, 2021, 10:14 PM »
I just found I have a pdf document (8 pages) covering the recipe and all the photos which curry hell used in 2013, taken as a capture of the thread page(s).

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 09, 2021, 11:00 PM »
Unclefrank, yes that is the original recipe and confirms that I had indeed doubled the spices on my copy. Glad you posted that as I was sorely tempted to double which would have effectively quadrupled the original recipe quantities. Many thanks.

Maybe a mod could reinstate the original recipe now? And is there a history of edits that mods or the site owner can see to ascertain when it got changed?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 09, 2021, 11:36 PM »
During my time as global moderator, I don't think I ever saw an audit trail, or any way to recover deleted content.  I suspect that only Yousef could manage this, if it is even possible ...
But perhaps George could post his PDF (as an attachment).
--
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes