Author Topic: Mango Chicken  (Read 39812 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Chicken
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 05:15 AM »
Now you've got me confused. I thought we were talking about how an "Indian" restaurant would cook it.

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 02:25 PM »
Now you've got me confused. I thought we were talking about how an "Indian" restaurant would cook it.

Sorry for the confusion. i meant how an "Indian" restaurant rather than a "British Indian" restaurant.

I don't know whether you realise, but the vast majority of UK "Indian" restaurants are actually Bangladeshi or Pakistani owned, whereas in OZ, most are owned by Indians, that is why the food is completely different.

Anyway, I asked Raj (our Indian tandoori chef) how mango chicken would be made in Aussie Indian kitchens, and he said that they would use butter chicken sauce and mango pulp. Nothing else.

Most butter chicken gravies would also contain cashew gravy, so maybe that is what is missing from your attempts.  8)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 08:25 PM »
OK. So that is understandable but still a little disappointing.  The slight variations from shop to shop would be from the variation to individual butter chicken sauce. 

Which is your butter chicken gravy mentioned above?  Could you provide a link to it?

edit: don't worry . Found it

Could use help with the Cashew Gravy though.

I still think it will still be requiring cream or curd or something, maybe coconut cream, or a mixture of these.  Maybe not. I can see I still have some experimentation to do.  I have been down the path of Butter Chicken / Mango Pulp before and as I say it is nice to eat and similar but not the same.  I've also experimented with cashews before.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 10:25 PM »
G'day livo
Absolutely no idea how Indian Chefs (AIR) in Australia cook this dish,
as Mick says, it's a different kitchen system.

But this is a real restaurant recipe, Bangladeshi BIR, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK

Mango Chicken is a simple mild delicate BIR curry.
But its not cooked in a delicate way, (Another High Heat Curry)

Hot pan
Add 3Tbs Veg Oil -1min
Touch of G&G -10secs.

Quickly add and combine
1Tbs Almond Powder, 1Tsp White Sugar.
2Tbs Tomato Puree dilute,1heaped Tsp Mix Powder.
Tarka this 30sec then in with 250ml Base Gravy.
Mix, stir and bring to the boil (High Heat) -1min.

Add 75ml Kesar Mango Pulp, mix, stir and keep on the boil 2 minutes.
Add the precooked Chicken pieces, Keep on high heat 2 minutes
Add 100ml single cream and combine well.

Turn down to medium heat and just let it sit and reduce a little -2-3 minutes.
Give it the odd stir, the sauce will thicken and become silky/creamy and ready to serve.

Should look like this - ;) cheers Chewy

« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 01:40 AM by chewytikka »

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 10:36 PM »
Well done Chewy
You are the Curry Doctor  :)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 11:00 PM »
Thank you so much CT.  This looks very promising.  :)

It's absolutely pouring rain here today so I'll give it a go, since I can't go fishing.

It doesn't really matter, but what does it say there for white sugar or "any???" (something wrong with characters after any)?

I have alphonso mango pulp but that is what I've seen used over here.  It wont make too much difference and I'll try some different mango types as they arrive this season.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 05:53 AM »
Well now we're getting somewhere.  This is the closest I've come yet and I have to say it is not terribly unlike other versions I've eaten, but still not exactly what I'm after.  I can't thank CT enough as I now have the knowledge I needed to get experimenting and I'm definitely on the right track.

My fussy daughter is the judge and she says it is still "too much like a curry" and not yet rich enough.  So the first thing I'll do is pre-cook the chicken in a milder base gravy, (although I don't think that's the problem), using less mix powder and possibly even none.  After that when I'm actually assembling the dish, I'll again use less base and more mango and possibly more almond meal as well to thicken it a bit more.

The dishes out here, at least the one I'm trying to replicate, are very sweet mango, but with a richness and velvet creaminess with only a hint of spice.

I'm still open to suggestions, but this is the best result so far in over 10 years of trying.

Now to make a Rogan Josh to go with it for my own dinner.

I'll let you know how the next few variations work out and hopefully I'll get that "Eureka" moment.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 07:46 AM »
Seeing as I've done CT's Mango Chicken, I also found his 2 pan Rogan Josh and did that as well, only in lamb and the meat wasn't pre-cooked so I just did the 2 pans, mixed them together and in the Pressure Cooker for 20 minutes.

Smells unreal. Also did a Palak Paneer or Saag Paneer, whatever it is, to satisfy the missus.  Loves her fresh spinach.

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 11:57 AM »
Livo

why not try a level tsp mixed powder and a dollop more cream - i think you may get it then

best, Rich

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 01:09 PM »
Nice one livo :)

Dishes like this one, are the main reason my BIR restaurants make a neutral base gravy.
Maybe a good idea to get your daughter to taste your base gravy first, before you start.

If she thinks it tastes too '"curry strong", reduce your spicing in your next batch,
or you could try my 1 hour base, which is neutral https://vimeo.com/40144303

Anyhoo, Glad to help in your curry quest.

Curry on ;)
cheers Chewy

©2024 Curry Recipes