• August 23, 2019, 01:21 PM
Welcome, guest! Please login or register.
collapse

* RGBD

Author Topic: Mango Chicken  (Read 17489 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
  • "Attention-seeking disorder"—disease of childhood
    • View Profile
    • The Westberry Hotel / Hoi-An Restaurant
Re: Mango Chicken
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2018, 02:01 PM »
Phil, that's a bit mind over matter if you used to enjoy something until you knew what was in it.  Reminds me of the Sunday morning my father told me what black pudding was made from.

You remind of being the occasion when we were served kaszanka at a conference in Poland, after five days of being served nothing but kielbasa *; most of my fellow delegates treated it with disdain (having asked what was in it), whereas I tore into it as if I hadn't eaten for five days (which was more or less the case) ...

** Phil.
--------
  • Intentionally mis-spelled, because the forum software throws a wobbly ("database error") if I use the proper Polish dark/barred-L.
Ogham's law :  The intellectual content of any message typically varies as the reciprocal of the number of emoticons that it contains..

Offline Secret Santa

• Ive Had Way too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2019, 04:52 PM »
Well I said I was going to give this a go and now I have. Verdict: truly gross!  ;D

I should preface this with the fact that I abhor korma and this is just a fancied-up korma so I really, really should not have made this in the first place. I followed chewytikkas malai makhoni video and as suggested added a good glug of mango pulp at the end. I assume that's all there is to it and I haven't left anything out?

It's nauseating. It's cloying. It's greasy. It's dreadful!  :'(

I managed to down about half of it with rice purely by eating it with lime pickle to try to get some balance and by following every mouthful with a good glug of green tea to stop me heaving.

It just amazes me that not only could people eat this regularly but also have it as their favourite - and I use the word quite wrongly - curry.

I tasted a bit of the sauce after it had cooled and it really is a dessert. In my opinion it has no place on any forum that dedicates itself to curry; BIR or otherwise.

It's my own fault. I don't like kormas. But I had to give it a go to see what all the fuss was about.  Lesson learned; step away from the kormas Santa!  :)

And what is it with mango puree (and the Mango Rubicon that I bought) that makes them greasy, like drinking oil?
Fighting for truth, justice and the BIR way!

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2019, 04:57 PM »
Well I said I was going to give this a go and now I have. Verdict: truly gross!  ;D

ROTFL :)  I shall now read on ...

And what is it with mango puree (and the Mango Rubicon that I bought) that makes them greasy, like drinking oil?

Dunno, Guv — your palate, perhaps ?  For me, neither feels/tastes greasy,  But I have to ask — did you buy Rubicon Mango, Rubicon Mango Light, or Rubicon Mango Deluxe ?  I would give house-room only to the last, of which I drink at least half a litre a day.

** Phil.
Ogham's law :  The intellectual content of any message typically varies as the reciprocal of the number of emoticons that it contains..

Offline Secret Santa

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2019, 06:28 PM »
did you buy Rubicon Mango, Rubicon Mango Light, or Rubicon Mango Deluxe ?

It says on the box, Rubicon Mango ... now with half the sugar!

It's the only one they had in Home Bargains. I don't know what it is but both, particularly the mango purée - which is Kesar by the way and not Alphonso as I thought - , have a very definite oily quality to them, just as if actual vegetable oil had been added. The flavour is sublime of course but the oiliness I could live without. Could be just my palate as you say but I've never experienced this sensation with any other foodstuff. Well, apart from actual vegetable oil drunk neat (yes I have!).

When I'm feeling less nauseated from the mango chicken I'll try your lassi recipe.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2019, 06:47 PM »
It says on the box, Rubicon Mango ... now with half the sugar!

That is exactly the problem.  I drank it (not seeing that text) and knew immediately that it was not Rubicon Mango as I always had always known it; finally found the text, tried adding the amount of sugar that they said they had removed, and it was still not sweet enough.  Ended up adding twice the amount of sugar that they had removed, and it was finally back to the original flavour.  Then, purely by chance, I found "Rubicon Mango Deluxe", ordered a dozen from Amazon at slightly less than list price, then found they had them for less than half price in Home Bargains, at which point I bought their entire stock. 

I can't say much for A G Barr, the new owners of the brand, though.  When I e-mailed them to tell them that one container was on the verge of exploding three months before its use-by date, they denied any responsibility, said it must have been damaged in transit, and offered vouchers to the value of £3 "without prejudice".  I pointed out that the point at which it had leaked (it had by now exploded) was on the base seam, which is protected in transit by a thick cardboard outer box, offered to send the package to prove the point, and received no further reply.  "Without prejudice", indeed !

Exactly the opposite with SureFlap, by the way.  Telephoned to tell them that the rotary catch was sticking, received a brand new one free of charge in the next post, and an e-mail pointing to a video to show how to take the thing apart to repair.  Well done SureFlap; A G Barr, you are crap.

** Phil.

Offline livo

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2019, 07:02 PM »
You can't say I didn't warn you SS.  ;D. You wouldn't be the first to view this dish in that way, but it is nevertheless very popular amongst those with a sweet tooth and an aversion to spices.

I don't use a mango "drink".  I use big tin cans of mango pulp. I've used both Kesar and Alphonso but it needs to be just pulped fruit. Even fresh Kensington Pride mango pulped by myself when they're in season, does not provide the flavour of tinned imported Indian grown mango.

I just read that Rubicon has 18% mango. The pulp in the tins is 94%.

This possibly won't change your opinion of the dish though SS.  I normally now just use a very mild base gravy and very mildly spiced pre-cooked chicken.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 07:38 PM by livo »
Whiskey is the answer, but what was the question?

Offline Secret Santa

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2019, 08:59 PM »
I don't use a mango "drink".

I didn't either livo, just the tinned, pure Kesar mango pulp. The Rubicon drink was only referenced because of the weird oiliness I experienced with both the purée and it.

I normally now just use a very mild base gravy and very mildly spiced pre-cooked chicken.

Same here. Kris Dhillon base and chicken thigh poached in base sauce. I intended chicken tikka but didn't get around to it. Anyway, I just have to accept that this type of dish is waaaay out of my culinary comfort zone. I still feel sick, several hours later. It's weird though because I absolutely love every individual ingredient. It's just the combination that does weird things to me.

Offline livo

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2019, 09:14 PM »
I understand now.  I have to say that it isn't my preferred curry but I do quite enjoy it. I also enjoy korma and other milder dishes.  If you don't, I can see why you wouldn't enjoy it.  Some establishments do describe their own version as being made with Tikka and I was once told that it was used when I asked.  Out here it is a favourite for the kids on curry night and this was where it became the search for me 20 years ago.
Whiskey is the answer, but what was the question?

You may like these posts on curry-recipes.co.uk: