Author Topic: Tonight's Dinner: Lamb Kasoori Methi  (Read 6380 times)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Tonight's Dinner: Lamb Kasoori Methi
« on: December 04, 2013, 07:55 PM »
Prompted by new member daaleater's introductory thread, I felt compelled to try this dish out (although it doesn't seem to be the Lamb Kasoori that daaleater was in search of).

After a quick scout around the net, I settled on VahRehVah Chef Sanjay Thumma's Chole Kasoori Methi video recipe, substituting lamb (cooked according to Mick Crawford's latest recipe) for the chole. It definitely wasn't BIR, but I thought it deserved a try-out anyway.

As my blender is currently broken, I had to resort to preparing the three pastes - chilli, nut/seed and masala - using the chopper attachment of my stick blender. Actually, it worked quite well and produced coarse pastes which, as far as I could make out, was just what the recipe demanded.

The Ingredients

I had to guesstimate many of the ingredient quantities, because although there is a written list to accompany the video, it didn't exactly match the quantities used by the chef.

Also, it cooked a little slower on my old gas cooker than in the video, but then everything generally takes a little longer so it wasn't too much of a problem.

The ingredient guesstimation gave me a little problem at the "add water" stage as I probably added a little too much water in one go. In retrospect, it would have been better to resort to the BIR technique of adding a little gravy at a time and cooking it down. As it turned out, that's just what I did, instead of covering the pan as instructed.

Just before adding the pre-cooked lamb, I tasted the gravy to check the seasoning. It needed a little more salt, but that wasn't all it needed. It needed flavour! Despite all the freshly ground spices and chilli paste, it was pretty bland. But help was at hand - when I pre-cooked the lamb, I wisely reserved the spiced oil for my base gravy and froze the lamb gravy in 2-tbsp portions. So I took a frozen portion out of the freezer and dunked it right in the curry sauce. After adding the lamb and a good pinch of fresh coriander, it tasted a whole lot better. Good enough to make again, I think, but I'll try a BIR approach the next time.

In the meantime, I've still got the other half of the curry resting in the fridge for tomorrow - happy days! :)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Tonight's Dinner: Lamb Kasoori Methi
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 08:05 PM »
Damn you Naga.  I wasn't going to cook tonight having just finished the final stage of my samosa experiment.  Now you've got me craving curry  :P :P  That certainly looks good from here.  Do you really want that portion in the fridge or can i try it?   ;D ;D

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 08:33 PM »
...Do you really want that portion in the fridge or can i try it?   ;D ;D

You'd be more than welcome, mate. And I've got tons of fresh chillies to make it a bit more palatable for you! :)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 09:02 PM »
You'd be more than welcome, mate. And I've got tons of fresh chillies to make it a bit more palatable for you! :)
That would be lamb chilli kasoori methi naga for one then  ???   Maybe next time i'm north of the border  ;)

Offline ottis

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 09:12 PM »
When i go out for a curry i always order lamb i could eat it everyday of the week..At the moment my mouths watering looking at your pics...I'm sitting here watching i'm a celebrity..curry was the last thing on my mind untill i seen your pics now it's the first thing..I just wished you lived nearby and delivered some for me..I would pay for that all day long..ottis...and the beat goes on

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 08:40 PM »
Looks delicious bud.

I've never made a lamb curry (shame), I love them but Mrs G won't eat anything that's cute (and, apparently, chickens are ugly).

What cut of lamb should I use if I decide to give it a go?

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 09:11 PM »
I'm no expert on lamb! I usually stick to chicken, fish and prawns. But I bought 2 half legs of lamb from Tesco and boned them before the pre-cook. Cost about

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 09:27 PM »
Cheers mate. Wasn't sure if it was leg or shoulder or other :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 09:43 PM »
I'm baffled as to what Water Melon Seeds would add to a dish especially in those quantities given the spices being used, but that dish looks wonderful and looks a true Bhuna/Kahari dish.

Well done Naga :)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 10:12 PM »
Cheers mate. Wasn't sure if it was leg or shoulder or other :)

I'm glad it wasn't other - visions of wellies and cliff edges spring to mind! :)

I'm baffled as to what Water Melon Seeds would add...

Aye, Bob,  my thoughts too. As it turned out, watermelon seeds weren't exactly abundant locally! And I balked at buying a whole watermelon and drying out the seeds! But I tried to stick to the spirit of the recipe and substituted sunflower seeds instead. As far as I could see, all that was required was to make a creamy paste that would thicken up the sauce, so, in that sense, it all worked out reasonably well.

Tasted fine anyway! :)

©2024 Curry Recipes