Author Topic: Tikka Style Chicken - Succulent Every Time  (Read 23355 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Tikka Style Chicken - Succulent Every Time
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 10:40 PM »
http://www.secretcurryrecipes.com/curryforum/showthread.php?6581-Quick-And-Simple-Chicken-Tikka&highlight=simple+chicken+tikka
--> "You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:"

That would explain why the site is called Secret Curry Recipes :)

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 12:18 PM »
Maybe the 'Uncles' are on a recruitment drive. ;)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 08:07 PM »

The only thing I would change in your method is to not rub salt in with the lemon at the beginning. Salt will draw a lot of moisture out of the Chicken Breast. With Chicken Legs and joints with bone, will handle the 1 tsp of salt, but breast is too tender for that if you want ultimate moisture.

I take on board what you say, my friend, but it turns out very moist and tender every time. Maybe you are talking about using bite-sized chunks, where I could imagine they would dry out. This method of using double-sized chunks and cooking relatively gently to start, then ramping up the heat ensures moisture is kept in.

Give it a go :)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 03:10 PM »
I've become a little disillusioned with the Rajah Tandoori Masala recently. It's a bit overpowering in some dishes, particularly the more subtle ones. And there is a flavour to it which I'm not entirely loving. Not sure if it is mace ir nutmeg.

So in a David Cameron-style u-turn, I have bought some Pataks Tikka paste and am going to try same method with that.

Offline Graeme

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 03:34 PM »
Garp,
Did you ever try the home made pat chapman tandoori powder as suggested.
I think its worth a try also.

I would guess I cook my tikka on 220c for around 10-15 mins
then wrap it in a foil parcel. It seems to steam its self a little more
in the foil with out drying out.

If I am going to use the chicken in a main dish then
i recently have started to wash with hot water
quite a lot of the sticky marinade off in a bowl.
Such as a kenwood chef mixer bowl.

Hope this helps someone also.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2013, 03:53 PM »
Hi Graeme. I tried the PC mix many moons ago but might give it another try with this cooking method  :)

Online mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2013, 04:05 PM »
I tried it Graeme and I thought it was very good and milder than the Rajah Tandoori massala

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 12:25 PM »
Just a wee update on the Pataks Tikka paste. It was ok, not minging, but a little......industrial tasting? (if that makes sense).

Took delivery today of some Spices of India Tandoori Masala which smells nice and not as harsh as the Rajah. Anyone tried it?

Also have the stuff to put together the PC Tandoori mix. Need to marinate some chicken today for tomorrow.

Oh....what to do!!!!!

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 12:19 PM »
Used the Spices of India branded Tandoori Masala in the end. Did my chicken in my usual way and it was very nice - much less intrusive flavour than the Rajah if adding to a dish.

Had SL's Punjabi Masala which also calls for some Tandoori Masala and it was lovely. When I've used up my stock of this I'll give PC's a go though.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 01:18 PM »
I'll try it with Pat Chapmans tandoori powder which IMHO takes some beating for the flavour it produces.  And it stores really well and improves with age  :) 

Made a batch of PC's tandoori masala at the weekend - haven't used it yet, it's still maturing. When I mixed it, I was a little underwhelmed, but having a little sniff now, it's smelling nice and tasty. Maybe, as CH says, it improves with age.

I'm off to get some chicken from the butcher this afternoon and will marinate it later for eating tomorrow. Judging by the smell of the mix, I'm pretty sure it will be good stuff :)

©2024 Curry Recipes