Author Topic: H4ppy-chris new naan recipe  (Read 253647 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: H4ppy-chris new naan recipe
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 09:23 AM »
Quality vid from Chris.  I'll be having a go fairly soon.  Similar to CBM's method. The great thing here is the method detail. Chris was also very precise on making chapatis, if I remember correctly.  I'm all excited.  Looks a great alternative to the tandoor.  Check out this guy making them, en masse, same principal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLO89zB1cNY

Rob  :) 

Offline RustyRob

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 03:29 PM »
I made this recipe for Naan bread last week when chris posted it on youtube,made it to the letter and all I can say it was brilliant. :)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 04:59 PM »
I watched this again last night and can't wait to try it.

Chris came across quite well in the vid, I thought. Not sure if he'd had a couple of Stellas or if that is his normal demeanour. Kind of like a bumbling, shy chef, but with great looking results. Love the part where the dog barks and Chris lets it in, and you can hear the padding of doggy paws on the kitchen floor :)

Despite all the bad press (and abuse) Chris has received on here, he has produced what appears to be a cracking naan recipe/method. Whether it is entirely his is neither here nor there in my opinion.

If this is the standard of the forthcoming e-book, I'd be happy to part with a fiver :)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 06:06 PM »
Being on holiday for two weeks now, and being the recipient of a tawa for Christmas (albeit a small 9 inch one), I have been champing at the bit to try Chris's naan recipe/method.

So with great faffing about, I made the dough to spec yesterday and followed the instructions to the letter - leaving to rest - covering with film - leaving to rest - rolling into balls - leaving to rest etc etc.

Result? Absolutely fantastic!!!

Whenever I've tried naan without yeast before, it came out with the texture of a scone or a biscuit. With yeast, it came out like a pancake or crumpet.

These ones? As close as I could ever hope to get to BIR/TA naan - taste and texture were spot on.

Here's a couple of pics which probably don't do them justice

Absolutely perfect and totally recommended :)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 06:40 PM by Garp »

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 06:36 PM »
Thanks for confirming what i suspected garp when i watched his video and posted a comment.  They look fantastic.  I will be trying them when i am off for a few days later this week.  I hope mine turn out as great looking as yours.  Making the quantities given will keep me in naans for a little while as i've become quite partial to a  garlic and coriander naan  :P  Must off to the kitchen now.  Saag aloo, bombay potato and tandoori king prawns with a nice accompanying sauce I think for a change and a portion of pilau of course ;D

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 07:07 PM »
I'm sure yours will turn out superb CH. You will not be disappointed.

Because I had a smaller tawa, I made the balls a little smaller to try to get the same thickness of dough. I also didn't use the cushion method - and had fun developing a technique for getting them to the heat (wasted a couple in the process)

I really can't rate these highly enough - thanks to Chris if you still read these pages :)

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 07:42 PM »
made these a few times...superb
the "cushion" is a must for me
don't forget to add a tsp salt (which chris has omitted from the recipe)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 07:47 PM »
I didn't add the salt - but, to be honest, it wouldn't have made much if any difference. I'm not sure if Chris left it out deliberately or forgot - personally I think it doesn't need it :)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 08:35 PM »
If I cook nothing else during my five days off, there will be naan hitting tawa for sure.  If i manage to get it right Garp i'll end up with fine looking tasty naans like yours, without the biscuit or crumpet taste, with a thin crisp base but light and fluffy on top, just the way i like them.  My tawa is fairly large.  So given the elasticity of the dough given the resting periods, I suppose i'd better make up some sort of cushion for them.  I really don't want my hand cooking as i try and get the naan where it needs to be on the very hot tawa  :o.  If I achieve the desired results like Mr M and yourself, making  up a cushion will a price worth paying as i'm sure it'll get plenty of future use  ;D :P.  The crux will come when i turn them upside down over my electric hob.  If i don't get a result at first i'll have to get the portable gas stove out and give that a whirl I suppose  :)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 08:48 PM »
Good luck CH. Didn't realise you were doing it on electric hob.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you this but could work after flipping and holding very close to the ring.

©2024 Curry Recipes