Author Topic: Frying pans used by restaurants  (Read 15791 times)

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Frying pans used by restaurants
« on: January 11, 2014, 02:52 PM »
At this restaurant where I've been helping out a little, they use this smalling frying pans to cook most of their curry dishes.  They look like they're made of aluminium but my knowledge of metals isn't good.  I did ask the owner and he says he got them in London....which is quite far away.  I live in S Wales.  Anybody got some of these?  How much are they and where can you get them from?  Maybe even an internet based supplier?  Is there a special name for them?  Thanks.

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Frying pans used by restaurants
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 03:00 PM »
Probably aluminium pans, plenty of links on the site. Used in kitchens for their heat distribution, and are light, so avoiding RSI injuries.

Never tried one myself as they don't work on induction cookers :(

Offline PaulMcartney

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 04:15 PM »
How would a cheap aluminium pan improve a curry?  I use Circulon (had them for many years) and they do every other cuisine I try to replicate really well.  I just can't see how the pan can make any difference to a curry at all.  I am pretty sure it wouldn't make any difference to my bacon butty tomorrow morning.  My first few curries have been ok from the recipes on this website, probably more my technique and lack of skills than anything else.  I will persevere though.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 04:26 PM »
I share your scepticism, Sir Paul, and normally cook in ILAG

Offline Geezah

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 04:51 PM »
The speed in which aluminum pans heat up and cool down is a bonus when frying spices and caramelising the first ladle of base, so you could say that they can help achieve better flavours in a curry, but you need that skill set honed regardless of what pan you use.

I myself use a thin carbon steel wok for all my curry cooking.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 04:57 PM »
I always have to cook for three or four, and I don't think one of those pans would be big enough.

I'll stick to my anodised wok ????

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 05:51 PM »
How would a cheap aluminium pan improve a curry?

It might not improve a curry as such but it probably improves anyone's chance of repliacting BIR style curries, which is what this forum is mostly about. There are plenty of videos showing BIR chefs cooking curries. They use simple aluminium pans. By using a similar pan I can try to match their heat level and the times used for cooking. It's one less variable to worry about.

Is your user name your real name?

Offline Curryking32000

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 08:56 PM »
BIR curryhouses most use aluminium frying pans (not non-stick) but carbon steel is also popular.  I have seen many using these

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 12:03 AM »
The one I'm working at uses the aluminium to cook curries but also uses a seasoned wok, a farily samll one, to cook the dishes which include rice such as egg fried rice, mushroom rice and special rice etc.  I still haven't been succesful in locating an online seller.

Offline PaulMcartney

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 10:58 AM »
I suppose Geezah could have a point, the quick heating up and cooling of the pan could make a difference.

©2024 Curry Recipes