Author Topic: mark j visit to a takeaway & spoke to the owner curry sauce  (Read 2813 times)

Offline woodpecker21

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
hi guys/gls
this the curry sauce that was extracted from the post by mark j went to a takeaway and spoke to the owner thread

this is the recipe as i can find from the posting when mark j spoke to a take away owner and chef curry sauce

Just been to my friendly takeaway tonight and talked to him at length about the base sauce.

He said start with vegie oil and fry garlic and ginger

Add chilli powder, curry powder, turmeric and salt. I said I use rajah curry powder and he said that would fine in the kind of way that meant basically any curry powder would be fine.

Add onions, carrots, green peppers, celery, fresh coriander and tomato paste, add water.

Simmer for an hour, then liquidise, then cook on high for 10 minutes and low for 5 minutes, job done. He leaves it overnight and said this added to the flavor.
This is a full recipe of base sauce in the quantity that a BIR would make, when I refer to chefs spoons below I am referring to the big spoon they use to make all the curries, I estimate this is approx 2 table spoons, all measurements are round spoons, not level nor heaped
In this 14-16" pan add veg oil up to a depth of 3/4 inch, heat on a high heat

Add 2 chefs spoons each of ginger and garlic puree, he was at great pains to point out to me this should be cooked until brown as Pete has seen before and to make sure I keep stirring it.

When brown add 1.5 chefs spoons each of curry powder and turmeric, add half a level chefs spoon of chilli powder
Stir quickly frying for a short while and then add some water "otherwise it gets too sticky/thick"

Next add the following chopped:
30-35 onions (thats no typo!)
5/6 carrots "or 4 big ones"
3 green peppers
half a bunch of celery
and half a cooks spoon of salt
2 desert spoons of garam masala "be careful not to over do this as it will easily dominate the base if you add too much", this is equivalent to 4 level TSP
fresh coriander and tomato paste

He adds only 1 heaped cooks spoon of tomato paste to the base
Basically he uses the jelly exactly as you found out, he said it takes ages much longer than the base, boil the carcass for hours with turmeric, cinamon, cardamom,bay etc then skim the jelly off when cold.
To show me how much coriander he held up his hand with fore finger to thumb in a circle about the size of a 10p piece,

regards
gary

ps will post blades 10 onion recipe from the same thread as soon as i have time ;)

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: mark j visit to a takeaway & spoke to the owner curry sauce
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 12:09 AM »
Well done Gary. 

CP

©2024 Curry Recipes