Author Topic: some tips on getting the best out of spices  (Read 8945 times)

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
some tips on getting the best out of spices
« on: October 21, 2006, 04:24 PM »
I am sure this one will expand (as it should).  As always this is based on my experience and is my opinion only.

It is always a minefield for the new cook or even an experienced cook when using spices and herbs for the first time or maybe for the first time in a particular style of cooking.  So this is a short list of points that come to mind; yes I know some have already been posted and discussed elsewhere.

STORAGE
1.  Always use spices as fresh as possible.  They should have a 'best before' date on the packet which should be about a year on from the packaging date.
2, Buy small amounts if you do not have a quick turnover.
3. Check the colour of the spices against similar packets of the same spice on the shelf, if there is a variation then beware.
4.  Store spices in a cool dark place (not the fridge) in airtight containers.
If you haven't used the spice (powder) within 6 months, ditch it.  Whole spaices last longer and can be partially revived by roasting.

SPICE RATIOS

This is quite a complex topic to explain easily, but I will do my best.  Nearly all the recipes you see are basically the same, the difference is usually created by the concentration of particular spice(s), the method of preparation (grinding, roasting, paste etc). Oil, heat, and acid all play an important role in differentiation.  But the most important I think is the ratio of mixing the spices, e.g. 2 of this, one of that, and 6 of the other in one particular dish but a different ration for an entirely different tasting dish that uses exactly the same spices.  If you can relate to this, then the best way to learn is read up recipes like you would a school text book and try to get an idea of what works well or evenly or badly with one or more spices.  For example Cumin powder is a killer if not used judiciously, and will kill all the flavours including itself if overused (or burned for that matter).  The seed is much kinder but still should be used with caution.  A case for the opposite is Chilli Con Carne where Cumin is the lead spice and needs to be to make a Chill taste correct.

There is a a sort of 'Golden Rule' in spice mix: always uses Coriander powder and Cumin in a 2 to 1 ratio if t you want to play safe.  My wholesalers sell this mixture in giant packets for the BIRs.  If bought fresh it has a much better outcome than making your own.

ROASTING

1. Always roast spices separately as some roast quicker than others for lots of reasons
2. If you burn the spices throw them away and start again
3  Pan or Oven? it is up to you, but an oven is nor reliable and it is difficult to get the stop point right.  Use Tawa or smooth based frying pan on a medium heat.
4. Roasted spices have their place, don't be tempted to use them willy nilly.  Roasted spices are regional preferences in India
5.  Not all Garam Masalas use roasted spices!
6.  When roasting in a pan, use your hand to constantly waft the aroma to your nose, using your eyes to judge colour is not a fool proof method.  Why? Because you don't know the age of the spice or where it was grown and this affects the outcome Also the reason for statement No 1).
7  Roasted spices will only keep  for a short while after grinding.  Store in a cool dark place.

ACIDIFICATION and CRACKING

Curries often require a 'crack' process during cooking.  This is not the same 'crack' mentioned in the high heat fusing process.  Even after grinding, spices remain in a crystaline form.  To extract the maximum from them they need to be burst or 'cracked'.  This can be done by adding a liquid or acid. 

Firstly don't add a load of water in its natural form if you can avoid it.  Why? because it will crack the spice dilute it, diffuse it , and lose the flavours in the steam.  If you have to add water because the recipe says so, then add it in small amounts at a time and make sure it is well mixed in and cooked a little before adding more; similar to the process for yoghurt.

The alternatives to pure water are many, as long as they are infused with something else non acidic like stock, milk or yoghurt, as the something else (emulsified oil) slows down the 'cracking of the spices.

Yes I know some recipes call for lots of water at the start, mainly bases.  This is usually because these recipe usually call for a long slow cooking process where the final outcome is not relying so much on the spice flavour.

Acids also play a large part in the final cooking process, and yes the BIRs all use it in one way or another, but not for every type of dish.  Think of an acid as a modifier.  I am sure our Chests will come up with better reasons/explanations.

So what are the main acidifiers; Lemon, Tomato, Vinegar, Wine, Tamarind are main ones.

Tamarind is usually added at the beginning, and produces a sweet and sour flavour

Lemon is usually added towards the end or even as a slice/wedge on the top of the finished dish; it is not just there for garnish.

Vinegar is usually used in the middle of cooking and sometimes at the end.  It gives a sour taste if not cooked out.  Do not breathe the vapour especially if there are chillies in the dish.

Wine is quite often used (Pasanda) and needs to be added early to cook out the alcohol

Tomato is the odd ball, and there are many questions and responses on this elswhere on the forum.  Tomato paste is not so acidic and should be added when frying the masala at the beginning of the cooking process.  Used sparingly it will add some sweetness and depth to the final dish.  Tomatoes in tins, as passata, or fresh are very acidic. 

Tinned tomatoes are fine and add some sweetness as they are cooked in natural or added sugars.  They should be chopped or blended before use and they will change the flavour of the dish within a short time of adding them, and will change again the longer you cook them.  If you can, try to remove as many seeds as possible as they are usually bitter.

Passata.  This is great for keeping the smoothness of the sauce, but again, needs to be used with caution.  Too much and too long can cause bitterness and may require another modifier to contain it.  Don't use instead of paste; it doesn't really work.

Fresh Tomatoes

Very good and best used at the end.  Try to remove the skins and seeds and cut in to chunks or blend them.  They are better used at the end to add freshness to the flavours.  You can usually use more fresh tomatoes than tinned or Passata.  The best tomatoes to use are ones that are about to be ditched, i.e. soft and very ripe.  If you use these don't process them just cut in to large chunks and add.

All of the acidifiers usually require another modifier or two.  These are sugar (Gur - unrefined block sugar is best), and salt (unadulterated pure sea salt flakes is best).  Don't be tempted to use LO-Salt as this is high in Potassium and potentially as dangerous as sodium salt.  But you can use granulated sweetener as a replacement for sugar.  I am a diabetic so always look for alternatives and I have been using sweetener with a great deal of success.

Keep on experimenting, we will make chemists out of you yet  ;D
CP

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: some tips on getting the best out of spices
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 04:51 PM »
WoooooooooSH :o
Well that's quite an in depth thread there Oh Mighty Prawn superb stuff well done  ;D
Layne

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 07:31 PM »
Carefull you might upset some people with your comments, but thanks.  ;D  I am sure that you and others can/will contribute something; well I hope so!  Desensitized now after a pod race round the pub bar next door (well actually next door but one , cos next door is a Chinese Takeaway (sic) (yes it is crap).  Didn't win the pod race but feeling much better.

CP

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 09:00 PM »
Bloody excellent post Prawn  ;)
Very interesting as i need help in the getting the Spices to release their flavor area  :'(

You must feel the force if it's a Pod race you wish to win, let it flow Prawn. ;D

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 10:06 PM »
Great post as always C P   - a wealth of information . :)

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 11:03 AM »
Thanks Guys.  I am going to try and put some notes down about Onions, Garlic & Ginger later.

CP

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 11:46 AM »
The only thing i would add is that spices should be ground very finely, infact the finer the better... there is nothing worse than tasting a gritty curry. According to Kris Dhillon the chef will rub the ground spices between his fingers to test whether they are prefectly smooth, she also said that for home cooking this wasnt so important..  :-X

If BIRs actually do this i have no idea.. i would imagine some spices are bought pre-ground and others are ground in small batches. If you are going to grind your own spices be careful that the blade of your grinding machine doesnt get too hot as it can burn the spices.. after saying that.. my grinder has got too hot and ive never known it to affect the taste.

There is some superstition surrounding spice grinding.. some "indians" believe that you can only get the most from the spices it they are hand ground.. and apparently some restaurants  have several people whos job it is to grind the spices for the day. They wont use machines.. :o i started grinding by hand and moved quickly over to a spice grinder..
nothing is better imo than an electric grinder.. it sure takes alot of effort out of grinding and saves alot of time.

Ashes

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 12:49 PM »
Hi Ashes, yes grinding methods are still a great source of debate, and the debate rages in the coffee world also.  From the Indian perspective there are three methods of grinding, stone milled, burr milled, and smash milled.  The first is using two stones and rub the spices between them, the fine powder is gently blown of if need be.  The burr mill comprises two steel burred wheels or cones (similar to the pepper grinder in principle).  The gap is set to permit the particles to be ground to the size you want.  The smash grinder is your typical moulinex electric blade type.

What are the benefits?  Well the first two produce a better cooler process and therefore the flavours are not damaged and the result will be a finer more flavoursome spice powder.  However, the stone method is very slow and tasking, and the Spice Burr Mills cost a fortune and are very very expensive.  The third type is cheaper, quicker, but does quite a lot of damage to the spice grains as it heats the spice up through friction and it produces a different shape of grain that can produce the grittines Ashes mentions.  Years ago I was doing a Geology course and had to write an essay on the differences between and benefits of Desert and Sea sands.  Years later an Indian friend (and scientist) related the sands to spices for me.  If you need more info contact me but trust me this were smoothness lies.

Again Ashes is right in that you can test for grittiness to some degree with your fingers but it does depend on how sensitive your fingers are.  I would also add that sometimes you want the spices coarsely ground for slow release of flavours.

How so you stop grittiness then? Well first you must slow fry the spices on a very very low heat and you must not let them catch.  Also you can 'crack' the spices by adding an acidifier (see Spices in Hints & Tips).  And as Ashes points out, if you uses a Moulinex type of grinder, only grind by pulsing in short bursts so that the spice keeps somewhat cool.

Hope this  helps.  Maybe it should go in hints and tips if you are OK with it.

CP

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 04:22 PM »
I love Grinding. :o

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile