Author Topic: Sri Lankan Style Black Lamb Curry  (Read 12059 times)

Offline rapscalli

• Chef
    • View Profile
Sri Lankan Style Black Lamb Curry
« on: January 25, 2014, 01:50 AM »
Hi all,

i had the above curry in the Noel Arms in the cotswolds. The menu described it as using the following ingredients:-

curry leaves, ground black pepper, pendan leaves, lemon grass, curry powder.

I also found a note on a blog about the recipe:

I ate the most delicious black lamb curry this week. You know the sort of dish that makes you lie in bed dreaming about it a few days later. Or is that just me?

Indunil Sanchi, chef of The Noel Arms in Chipping Campden, my favourite local place for a curry, explained to me that he adds 100g of black pepper to 1kg of lamb. The lamb is local, delicious and cooked slowly for hours, which tenderises it beautifully but also does something magical with all that pepper. When Indunil, who has been awarded Pub Curry chef of the year for the last 3 years, once told a judge how much pepper he was adding to this dish, the judge thought he?d made a mistake with quantities. Then he tasted it. And obviously enjoyed it as much as I did; it was the winning dish.

from
http://www.shabbychick.me.uk/2013/09/13/black-lamb-curry-and-cotswolds-indian-feasting/

Does anybody know of a similar recipe i can try?

And hello!

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Sri Lankan Style Black Lamb Curry
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 08:54 AM »
Hi Rapscalli,

I work with a Sri Lankan chef at the Uni. When he makes a curry, it is traditional Sri Lankan style and I have had to teach him how to cook BIR style.

He certainly uses curry leaves and fresh chilli, but I am thinking that the meal you had has been created specifically by the chef in that pub.

Black pepper is used in greater quantities more in Southern India and Sri Lanka as a cooling agent, because of it's heat, it makes you sweat. The sweat cools on your face and body, therefore cooling you down somewhat.

I'll ask him next week if he has come across this dish or something similar. Traditionally in Sri Lanka, they eat a lot of fish (bountiful supply) and chicken. Meat (lamb) is quite a luxury for them as it is expensive.

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 09:05 AM »
You sure its not pinged in a microwave?  ;D

http://www.cotswoldtraiteur.co.uk/sri-lankan-black-lamb-curry.html

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 03:21 PM »
You sure its not pinged in a microwave?  ;D

Oh ...

Offline rapscalli

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 02:24 PM »
It would surprise me given that the chef is current holder of " the Best Pub Curry Chef Award at the Great British Pub Food Awards" !

Was one of my favourite curries i have ever had out, would love to know an approximate recipe.

Offline rapscalli

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 09:46 PM »
Did you get a chance to speak with your friend about this recipe?

Hi Rapscalli,

I work with a Sri Lankan chef at the Uni. When he makes a curry, it is traditional Sri Lankan style and I have had to teach him how to cook BIR style.

He certainly uses curry leaves and fresh chilli, but I am thinking that the meal you had has been created specifically by the chef in that pub.

Black pepper is used in greater quantities more in Southern India and Sri Lanka as a cooling agent, because of it's heat, it makes you sweat. The sweat cools on your face and body, therefore cooling you down somewhat.

I'll ask him next week if he has come across this dish or something similar. Traditionally in Sri Lanka, they eat a lot of fish (bountiful supply) and chicken. Meat (lamb) is quite a luxury for them as it is expensive.

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 04:57 PM »
I found a recipe for Sri Lankan black fowl curry in Atul Kochhars Curries of the World

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 05:13 PM »
I then found this at celtnet.org.uk

Elumas Curry
(Mutton Curry)

Origin: Sri Lanka      Period: Traditional

Ingredients:

500g mutton, cut into 3cm pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
2 green chillies, chopped
5 curry leaves
3cm piece of rampe (pandan) leaf, finely shredded
1 piece of lemongrass, dry outer layers removed
3 garlic cloves
1.5cm piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
1 ripe tomato, finely chopped
1 tsp hot chilli powder
1 tsp black curry powder
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
1/2 tsp black mustard seeds, crushed
salt, to taste
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp vinegar

Method:

Pound the garlic and ginger in a mortar to a smooth paste. Mince the lemongrass finely.

Place the meat in a bowl and mix with the chilli powder, curry powder, turmeric, black pepper, salt and lemongrass. Cover and set aside to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.

Heat the oil in a wok and use to fry the onion, chillies, curry leaves, pandan leaf and the ginger and garlic paste over low heat until the mixture is golden brown. Now add the chopped tomato along with the mustard seeds. Cover the pan and simmer for 3 minutes.

At this point, stir in the meat along with its marinade and the vinegar. Cover the pot and continue cooking over low heat for about 35 minutes, or until the meat is cooked through and tender.

Take off the heat and serve accompanied by rice.

Black Curry Powder

Origin: Sri Lanka      Period: Traditional

Ingredients:

150g coriander seeds
55g curry leaves
1 tbsp cloves
1 tbsp green cardamom pods, crushed
1 tbsp cinnamon stick, crushed
1 tbsp raw rice
1 tbsp fenugreek seeds
1 tbsp black mustard seeds
1 tbsp fennel (sweet cumin) seeds
90g cumin seeds
120g dried red chilli pieces

Method:

Place a heavy frying pan over medium heat and use to toast the coriander seeds and curry leaves for 90 seconds. Now add the cloves, green cardamom pods, cinnamon and rice. Lightly toast these ingredients until golden brown.

At this point, add the fenugreek seeds, black mustard seeds, fennel seeds and cumin seeds. Fry for a few minutes more, or until the spice blend is fragrant (but take care the spices do not burn). Finally add the chilli pieces and toast for 1 minute more.

Turn the mixture onto a plate and set aside to cool.

Once cooled to room temperature, grind the spices to a powder either in a mortar, or using a coffee grinder. Spoon into an air-tight container and keep in a cool, dry, place.

The spice blend will keep for up to a year, but is best used within a few months of preparation

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 06:26 PM »
That looks interesting, might have a pop this week, especially as I got an address for getting hold of proper mutton. Is the raw rice just standard basmati?

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 02:24 AM »
I would hazard a guess that basmati rice would be fine, that would be what I would use. I found the recipe on the web but have yet to attempt to make it.

©2024 Curry Recipes