Author Topic: Sri Lankan Style Black Lamb Curry  (Read 12061 times)

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Sri Lankan Style Black Lamb Curry
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 10:34 AM »
Done. Lovely if not completely to spec.

I made the black curry powder to spec and very good it smelled too. The curry leaves gave it a taste completely different from a normal mix. Scaled it down a lot.

I was planning on using mutton but there was a deal on goat, so I used that instead. Getting hold of Pandan leaf proved impossible, even if my local asian shop is Sri Lanki. Got home and found out that someone had chucked my lemon grass out.

I substituted some Kaffir lime leaves for the lemon grass and added a bit more black pepper.

It took about 3h to cook through the goat and the result was delicious. It remined me of a rendang or one one the south east asian recipes that includes whole spices.

I have plenty of curry powder left, I'll try it again with some lemon grass and see if I can find the pandan.

Recommended for something different. I didn't bother with a photo as it looked like a bog standard traditional curry.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 08:24 PM »
Now this sounds different. Cheers! Is it black because of the

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 08:24 PM »
Done. Lovely if not completely to spec.

Thanks for the report. Looks like it's another one for me to try.

Have got a Ma Goa Vindaloo marinating in the fridge at the moment. A Tesco half price leg of lamb is defrosting for a Maddhur Jaffrey Rogan Josh, Channa Dhal is soaking for Mrs Balbir Singhs Kabuli Channa and some black eyed beans are waiting for the Cooking With My Indian Mother-in-law Black Eyed Beans curry. Looks like a busy day tomorrow but the weeks dinners will be something to look forward to.

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 08:30 PM »
Getting hold of Pandan leaf proved impossible

The Asian Cookshop in Braintree does dried and fresh Pandanus Leaves by mail order

http://www.theasiancookshop.co.uk

©2024 Curry Recipes