Author Topic: A fish curry  (Read 5951 times)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: A fish curry
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 12:34 AM »
I assumed from your original post that the fish were small, hence the Hilsa suggestion.
And maybe perch wouldve been a better suggestion than mackeral, as the staff curry used a river fish?
Carp is delicious though, Ive had it a few times here and abroad.
Try a Polish shop if you cant source it from a Bangladeshi...or get your fishing rod out.

:)

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/jan/17/freshwater-fish-fight

« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 12:50 AM by DalPuri »

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 09:46 AM »
Thanks Dalpuri.  I just went along with what the restaurant wife suggested to me ie to try mackrel as it was nice with mackrel.  Maybe she whould have said that "I think it would be nice with mackrel but I haven't a clue".  I'm sure she said that she had tried it in their curry.  But the chef then came back and said it hadn't really worked but would be better in a kind of fish chutney.  I do sometimes get quite frustrated by being told one thing by one of them and another by somebody else there.  I read somewhere that in some countries in Asia, people will give an answer even if they don't know to try and save face or something similar.   Maybe there's something like that at play here?  And then there's also the added communication problem with their lack of vocabulary and basic sentences when speaking English.  But it's an interesting experience on the whole.

Offline chillihothot

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 01:23 PM »
Could post a recipe of how to make the staff curries? How do they different from regular?

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 10:09 PM »
Thanks for those links curryhell.  Does anybody have a good recipe for mixed powder which they use for these staff curries and many others too.  I was just told that it was a 'secret' mix.  I've given up on working out in this restaurant.  The owner wasn't helpful.  I'm quite disappointed by it all.

©2024 Curry Recipes