Author Topic: THE SECRET TO THAT TAKE AWAY CURRY TASTE ( PART 2 ) AVAILABLE NOW  (Read 27526 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: THE SECRET TO THAT TAKE AWAY CURRY TASTE ( PART 2 ) AVAILABLE NOW
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 01:55 PM »
There are many narrow minded arm chair warriors that cook a curry once a blue moon that have an enormous amount of spouting to do - I personally take it with a pinch of salt as you should and keep on.

I contribute a little - heres why - I am in a very competitive market place where copying is rife so cannot post all we do.

Unlike you Rich who rips off everything they can from forums like this one and flogs it in the supermarkets of Thailand?

I don't think you really hold the moral high ground here pal!

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 05:45 PM »
Unlike you Rich who rips off everything they can from forums like this one and flogs it in the supermarkets of Thailand?  I don't think you really hold the moral high ground here pal!

Why do you describe Rich's activities as "ripping off" ?  He is a bona fide member of the forum who, like every other member, is fully entitled to use any recipe that he finds here either for personal consumption or to sell (any food that he prepares using such a recipe) for profit.  I can see nothing unethical in that at all.  If he were (for example) to publish and attempt to sell a cookery book that included a substantial number of recipes from here, that would indeed be unethical; but he is not, he simply prepares foods, some of which may well use recipes from here, and sell that food to make a living, which I view as a perfectly acceptable use of forum material.

** Phil.

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2014, 07:18 PM »
...like every other member, is fully entitled to use any recipe that he finds here either for personal consumption or to sell (any food that he prepares using such a recipe) for profit.  I can see nothing unethical in that at all.

If he were (for example) to publish and attempt to sell a cookery book that included a substantial number of recipes from here, that would indeed be unethical

But he's still profiting from someone elses work in both examples (which would be unethical if he doesn't credit the original source) or am I missing something? :-\

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2014, 07:53 PM »
Good luck to him - he's putting in the hard graft. How do we know he's stealing recipes - perhaps he's learned on here and tweaked recipes to make them his own - no different from any other chef in the world.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2014, 08:08 PM »
But he's still profiting from someone elses work in both examples (which would be unethical if he doesn't credit the original source) or am I missing something?

How many chefs are 100% self-taught, and never use a single recipe that is not 100% their own creation ?  I would venture to suggest none.  Yet from the humblest to the most top-end restaurant, what trace will you find on the menu of "dish not invented here" ?  Again, none.  So Rich is doing is what every chef does :  learn from others, add his own signature to each dish, and then selling the results to earn a living. Standard business practice, and in no way unethical, as far as I am concerned.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 09:12 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2014, 08:21 PM »
fair points, well made, which also opens up an interesting train of thought - if say some brilliant recipe had been copied by a sous chef who went on to open his own establishment but to avoid accusations of plagarism from his previous employer finding a change to technically make the dish unique but as the original recipe was a winner changes the final taste in no discernible way, I wonder how much of a change would have to be made to a typical recipe (as opposed to just altering quantities of existing ingredients) and which stuff makes no difference whatsoever - I'm thinking base gravy recipes with radishes, peppers, cabbage stalks etc here!

Rambling on, but can anyone else see where I'm coming from on this?

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2014, 09:46 PM »
SS you are entitled my friend and here we go again....it had to be my turn at some point.. you can look at what we have in the supermarkets old lad and you will see they DO NOT match anything on here and our base which is published is Not the same as anyone else's.

I don't rise to idiotic comments take it as you want - and where are the Dhaal and Paneer recipes don't see any but you will here.

I dont have anything to prove to anyone - i work hard start everyday around 0400 am and put the hours in - I started peeling onions in a restaurant in 1985 and have picked up a thing or two along the way! Unlike the usual arm chair warriors!!

Here's the thing - cooking for 1 is not the same as cooking for 300 - cooking 2 chicken breast is not the same as 140 kilos a day - so i think there may be a difference - thanks for the usual negativity from you SS which bleeds all the way through this forum.

The recipes i'm interested in are the ones from Bob - who cooks in bulk - i make no bones about that and have pm'd him re them... why because we do the same. Also i'm a little envious he has a tilt pan and we have tried to order one to no avail they keep changing the price and its double the price of the UK. Not justifiable for us.

Please feel free to make your opinions as you wish about any of my posts - and as you will see from one of my firsts posts - i came on to the forum at a time when again there was some negativity around the time Abdul came on - cant remember what it was at that time but im sure someone can look it up - I posted a veggie recipe at that time NOT on here and Abdul picked it up and asked if he could use in his restaurant.

What i do like is your certainty of assumption - i was taught NEVER TO ASSUME!

Also remember back to the days of being taught anything, shown anything - it was to make life easier and to succeed. If there is any little tip bit that will help improve mine and my families quality of life i WILL gladly take the opportunity to use it as would every normal individual.

Must think about publishing an ebook!

Hey ho its peeling onions i go!

best, Rich
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 02:01 AM by loveitspicy »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2014, 11:05 PM »
if say some brilliant recipe had been copied by a sous chef who went on to open his own establishment but to avoid accusations of plagarism from his previous employer finding a change to technically make the dish unique but as the original recipe was a winner changes the final taste in no discernible way, I wonder how much of a change would have to be made to a typical recipe (as opposed to just altering quantities of existing ingredients) and which stuff makes no difference whatsoever - I'm thinking base gravy recipes with radishes, peppers, cabbage stalks etc here!

To be honest, I don't know the answer to this.  But shortly after you posted your earlier message, I read a message on a completely unrelated (and highly technical) forum asking (my paraphrase) "Hey guys, why does this not work, and how can I fix it ?".  Now I happen to know (as does every member of that forum) that the person asking the question (and who regularly asks exactly the same question, with only the value of "this" differing on each occasion) is an IT professional who sells his skills to corporate clients.  BIG corporate clients. And it is quite clear from the number of times that he asks this question that his IT skills in this area are seriously lacking, but he compensates for that by asking others, at least one of whom can be counted in to know the answer, bail him out, and let him sell yet another of "his" (in reality, partially our) creations to his corporate customers for big bucks.  And here, unlike the case with Loveitspicy/Rich, I really do believe that the guy is behaving unethically, yet no-one ever calls him out over it.  Odd, or what ?

** Phil.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:43 AM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline mak

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2014, 01:38 PM »
SS you are entitled my friend and here we go again....it had to be my turn at some point.. you can look at what we have in the supermarkets old lad and you will see they DO NOT match anything on here and our base which is published is Not the same as anyone else's.

I don't rise to idiotic comments take it as you want - and where are the Dhaal and Paneer recipes don't see any but you will here.

I dont have anything to prove to anyone - i work hard start everyday around 0400 am and put the hours in - I started peeling onions in a restaurant in 1985 and have picked up a thing or two along the way! Unlike the usual arm chair warriors!!

Here's the thing - cooking for 1 is not the same as cooking for 300 - cooking 2 chicken breast is not the same as 140 kilos a day - so i think there may be a difference - thanks for the usual negativity from you SS which bleeds all the way through this forum.

The recipes i'm interested in are the ones from Bob - who cooks in bulk - i make no bones about that and have pm'd him re them... why because we do the same. Also i'm a little envious he has a tilt pan and we have tried to order one to no avail they keep changing the price and its double the price of the UK. Not justifiable for us.

Please feel free to make your opinions as you wish about any of my posts - and as you will see from one of my firsts posts - i came on to the forum at a time when again there was some negativity around the time Abdul came on - cant remember what it was at that time but im sure someone can look it up - I posted a veggie recipe at that time NOT on here and Abdul picked it up and asked if he could use in his restaurant.

What i do like is your certainty of assumption - i was taught NEVER TO ASSUME!

Also remember back to the days of being taught anything, shown anything - it was to make life easier and to succeed. If there is any little tip bit that will help improve mine and my families quality of life i WILL gladly take the opportunity to use it as would every normal individual.

Must think about publishing an ebook!

Hey ho its peeling onions i go!

best, Rich

Liked!!!

Where does it say (anywhere on this forum) that "forum members must not use other member's recipes to make a profit" ?

If a member posts information and states this then it should be respected - but that does not mean it becomes illegal if not adhered to !

Seems like sour grapes and envy to me   :'(

Offline namtin

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2014, 06:21 PM »
There seems to be a fair bit of bitchiness on this alright but then again everyone's entitled to their opinion, now a fair question, i would appreciate an honest answer please, has anyone tried any of the recipes in Julians new E-Book and if yes what were the results like? I bought the first one and wasn't really impressed first off with the results and secondly with the clerical mistakes that were eventually corrected, i would buy the 2nd one if i could obtain ONE recipe that's as good as a good take-away,
Some of you recommended Chewytikkas Chicken Madras recipe so i tried it and i was told by my other half it was the best yet!! i loved it too. i was a bit sceptical as to the simplicity of it but it was the closest dish yet, using Julians Base from Curry2go too,

thanks in advance people :-)

©2024 Curry Recipes