Author Topic: Which Techniques Create That "BIR Taste"?  (Read 10169 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Which Techniques Create That "BIR Taste"?
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 08:23 AM »
barrie44,

this is a subject which i have interest in (and i would think a lot of us the same). if u feel u can (and i don't see any legal issue). could u list out the ingredients of the base (not the amounts).

why i ask is that i'm about to revisit a few bases that i've used before. i've been using a no pepper and no tomato base for a while. i want to put my mind at rest of the impact of the following ingredients:

1) green pepper
2) potato
3) tomato
4) ginger
5) spicing (ie curry powder, garam masala, mix powder, all purpose seasoning)

any info much appreciated

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 09:57 AM »
to some extent, frying the garlic ging paste and swirling round in lots of oil, until brown is gooood! dont burn it though

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 11:24 AM »

... could u list out the ingredients of the base (not the amounts)...

Hi JerryM

I think I listed the ingredients to the new KD base somewhere else but cant find the link so here they are again,

oil,onions,ginger,garlic,tinned tomatoes,tomato puree,salt,turmeric,paprika,water.

That's it, I done the base twice now and find it "cooks down" really well. I think it works because it is so simple, definitely worth checking out. Hope this helps.

CoR

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 09:04 PM »
many thanks CoR,

u got me reaching for my trustie hand book the original KD1 (i actually rate the LB base more).

KD1 lists: onion, green ginger, garlic, water, salt, tin toms, veg oil, tom puree, turmeric, paprika. isbn 0-7160-0809-2

given KD1 & KD2 appear to have the same ingredients i intend to continue as planned unless something else comes up that i've not tried before.

bugger the olive oil if that's being used (re CA's post http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3418.msg31124#msg31124). sorry but i can't see it making a taste difference or significant health advantage either.

i have made quite a few essentially "onion only" bases and as CoR says they do work surprisingly well. for me they are a good starting point but well short of what can be achieved (based on side by side taste comparison).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 08:34 AM by JerryM »

Offline barrie44

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 03:43 PM »
hiya jerry m
i do agree the ingredients are the same as before frying the onions instead of boling them does make a differnce in flavour slightly as well.if you are happy sticking with your base then happy days we all have different tastes.i would think technique is where you need to go i will post as you requested what i do i am not saying that will be perfect for you but when you combine them who knows.to be fair i was giving up years ago when i found this site.i just needed some fresh ideas and found when i went back to kd1 base i did it better with some different techniques.also worth remembering that whatever base you are using you make the flavour curry you want when you fry it.i did buy a magic wok and had loads of fun with that although the best curry yet was the most recent kd2 one and that was on home hob which is a little bit hotter than a normal one not that much though.weirdly i do believe high heat does do something.it`s just somehow i managed it without it.
warm regards
barrie

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 05:07 PM »
barrie44,

would be very interested in bouncing technique off u. it's sounds we've had a similar curry history.

very much agree a 10 curry can be produced using what i would call "slowboat" technique. the high heat taste is i think down to personal preference (what they've been used to). u also don't need it for probably most dishes ie CTM etc. on my next base i intend to work on the high heat method as i feel i need to link the smoke to the taste in order to get consistency.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 07:12 PM »
i got reminded of this post and realised i've pretty much settled on technique - unless anyone has any further savey tips that is.

stage 1 - hot frying in oil - unchanged to that detailed earlier in this post http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1283.msg30817#msg30817

stage 2 - spice emulsification (heat on full)

the what - add all of: spices, salt, chilli, tom puree/water, small amount base sauce ~ 1/2 ladle or 1 chef spoon

the how - pan off the heat, all added in one go, pan returned to the heat, 1 off good stir to ensure ingredient's are mixed, fry at high temp without stirring.

end point - the mixture is almost dried out around the edge of the pan and starts to crater across the surface. this is a difficult point to judge and u need to practise as it's easy to burn. it's not necessary to over cook - a little scrap with your spoon at the base of the pan rim gives a good indication.

stage 3 - evap off (heat on full or simmer*) (*to minimise splatter)

the what - add any of: base, fresh coriander, fresh tomato, passata, onion paste, coconut block/flour, evaporated milk/cream etc

the how - the pan can be on or off the heat, all are added in one go, 1 off real good stir (sideways and circular) needed to ensure the emulsified spices are fully mixed into the base,  stir everynow and then 1st sideways then circular to clean the rim (frequent stirring not needed).

end point - the mixture is condensed to the the required consistency. typically starts to crater.

for me typical cooking times for 1 off 200ml finished portion are: stage 1  - 30sec, stage 2 - 1 min, stage 3 - 3 min. the times depend on your cooker, the amount of ingredient and the thinness of the base

©2024 Curry Recipes