Author Topic: Bhatura - Deep Fried Indian Bread  (Read 5201 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Bhatura - Deep Fried Indian Bread
« on: April 06, 2014, 11:22 AM »
This is such a simple recipe, but very tasty, especially when dipped into your favourite curry sauce.

I didn't take pictures of the 2nd batch I made, but I started to add crushed chillies, freshly chopped coriander, sliced garlic, which I pressed into the breads before frying.

600g Plain Flour
500ml Yogurt (I used Greek Yogurt)
15g Salt (or to taste)

Sift the flour into a bowl and add the yogurt and salt, mix with your hands until you form a dough. Tip out onto a work surface and kneed for about 10 minutes. Add a little more flour if needed as this can get a bit sticky.

Roll into a ball, return to the bowl and cover with clingfilm. Leave to rest for 1 hour, then remove from the bowl and tear small amounts off. Roll into a ball then roll out to 5 inch flat discs.

At this stage you can press whatever other ingredients you want into the bread.

Put oil into a pan enough for deep frying and heat to about 170C, place the bread into the hot oil and fry until a light golden brown. Remove and place on kitchen paper to drain.

Eat on it's own or dip into your favourite curry sauce or raita.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Bhatura - Deep Fried Indian Bread
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 11:42 AM »
These look great.

I've made these many times but never posted a recipe. I think of them as deep fried chapatis and even a basic flour, salt, water recipe is transformed by the deep frying. The trick is to get them to puff up like balloons and eat them quick before they deflate!

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 11:49 AM »
I had also just made a Lamb Madras for a conference dinner at the Uni, and could not help myself but kept dipping them into a bowl of the Madras sauce.... I was in heaven  ::)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 12:15 PM »
I can imagine - yum.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 01:20 PM »
Great looking recipe 976 - the simple ones are often the best!

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 05:16 PM »
Great looking recipe 976 - the simple ones are often the best!

I know this forum is geared up for BIR, but having done most of that now I am moving on to other stuff within the Indian Cuisine industry. New breads, other recipes etc.... :)

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 08:03 PM »
They look great!

A bit similar to my puris shown here next to some aubergine fritters. CBMs recipes

I probably had them in the fryer for a few secs too long (was my 1st try) but very simple and deelish to mop up a lovely madras sauce!!

Ed

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 08:12 PM »
They look great!

A bit similar to my puris shown here next to some aubergine fritters. CBMs recipes

I probably had them in the fryer for a few secs too long (was my 1st try) but very simple and deelish to mop up a lovely madras sauce!!

Ed

I bet they soak up that sauce real good :)

Aubergine fritters are something we're looking into as a street food right now, will post a recipe if we take it forward :)

©2024 Curry Recipes