Author Topic: Most versatile spice mix  (Read 4571 times)

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Most versatile spice mix
« on: May 01, 2014, 10:28 AM »
Which is the most versatile spice mix or are they much of a muchness.

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Most versatile spice mix
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 08:50 PM »
Judging by the lack of response I guess they are much of a muchness, I'll try Bruce Edward's.

Offline LouP

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 09:47 PM »
I use Abdul's 8 spice mix

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 11:12 AM »
Don't know if he's upgraded his mix, but think Curried Away is on a nine-spice mix now :o

littlechilie

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 03:19 PM »
I use dipuraja1 spice mix, I have tried many but this always bring me closest to my TA & BIR. Mix my own Garam Masala to add to this.

I am going to guess this has been researched b4, but IMO with all spice mixes there is very subtle differences, and the one you will like best is the taste closest to a personal experience of taste from a TA or BIR :)
Most chefs I would expect leave out the chilli powder and add to taste, this makes them all extremely versatile throughout the wide expanse of curry.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 04:33 PM by littlechilie »

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 03:46 PM »
I've recently been using a Pakistani bassar curry masala powder instead of a mix powder, some very good results. For mix powder I usually use Abdul's though

Offline Manterik

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 08:17 AM »
I use dipuraja1 spice mix, I have tried many but this always bring me closest to my TA & BIR. Mix my own Garam Masala to add to this.

I am going to guess this has been researched b4, but IMO with all spice mixes there is very subtle differences, and the one you will like best is the taste closest to a personal experience of taste from a TA or BIR :)
Most chefs I would expect leave out the chilli powder and add to taste, this makes them all extremely versatile throughout the wide expanse of curry.

I use three spice mixes. Bruce Edwards original, with the paprika. I use JB's and I use Dipuraja's.

All of them are excellent. I tend to use Bruce Edwards in my base gravy asa opposed to individual spices and JB or Dipuraja in the meal I am cooking.

I also make Madhur Jaffrey's Garam Masala from the BBC site but used powdered nutmeg as opposed to solid nutmeg.

©2024 Curry Recipes