Author Topic: Patak's Mango Chutney.  (Read 8042 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Patak's Mango Chutney.
« on: June 22, 2014, 03:13 AM »
Unlike Patak's pastes I'm quite partial to Patak's pickles. Except I tried the mango chutney tonight and while it's not too bad its absolute foremost flavour is cumin, to the point of being overpowering.

I just wondered if anyone else uses it and thinks the same?

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Patak's Mango Chutney.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 08:57 AM »
SS I don't like Pataks Mango chutney, I always have Geeta's Mango chutney, which I find better, (for me that is)

Les

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 03:08 PM »
I use Green Label mango chutney usually Les which I find quite palatable but I'll give the Gheeta's a go now that you've mentioned it thanks. The Patak's though, apart from the sweetness you'd expect from a mango chutney, was all cumin flavour. I'm not averse to cumin but the balance seems very wrong to me.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 03:33 PM »
Don't know if this recipe is of any interest, but it's the one I use to make my own mango chutney as its virtually impossible to get around these parts. Although I do use it as a dip/accompaniment, I really need it for my South Indian Garlic Chilli Chicken.

The good thing about making my own is that I can make it as hot or as sweet as I want simply by altering a couple of ingredients. The recipe is an amalgam of mango chutney recipes from:

http://www.daringgourmet.com/2013/03/07/indian-mango-chutney/ and http://rasamalaysia.com/mango-chutney/2/

MANGO CHUTNEY

Makes: 400-450g

Ingredients

15ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
2 tbsp Askoka-style garlic/ginger paste
1 red birds eye chilli, finely sliced
quarter tsp nigella seeds
quarter tsp ground coriander
good pinch ground cumin
pinch ground turmeric
pinch ground cardamom
2 whole cloves
2-inch piece cassia bark
good pinch salt
400g can mangoes in syrup
165g demerara sugar
120ml white vinegar

Method

Heat the oil in a pan over a medium flame.

Saute the ginger, garlic and red chilies until aroma is released.

Add the spices and fry for around 2 minutes, stirring all the time to prevent burning.

Add the mangoes and syrup, sugar, salt, and vinegar and stir to combine. Bring it to a rapid boil then reduce the flame to low and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, stirring occasionaly to prevent sticking.

Remove from heat and allow it to cool. Use a potato masher to mash the mixture to the desired consistency.

This chutney should keep for up to 2 months in the fridge (in a sealed jar) or for several months in the freezer.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 03:49 PM by Naga »

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 05:19 PM »
I use Sharwoods which come in chunky, smooth or with Kashmiri chilli.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 06:17 PM »
Naga I like that recipe as it uses canned mangoes thereby taking away the guesswork of using fresh ones. How would you say it compares to the shop bought varieties of mango chutney?

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 10:33 AM »
SS, I think it compares very favourably - and its as cheap as chips to put together. Apart from the canned mangoes perhaps, the ingredients wouldn't be out of place in the average BIR enthusiast's cupboard. The Nigella seeds give it a pleasant earthiness, but other than that, the heat and sweetness can easily be adjusted by upping the chilli or the sugar.

The recipe I settled on gives a nice savoury balance between heat and sweet, and it has the sort of consistency one would expect from a commercial product. It looks a bit like frog-spawn in the photo, but I guarantee it tastes better! :)

Because I use the chutney mainly as an ingredient, I blend it right down after cooking time, but it could easily be left chunky like, for example, Sharwoods. It also freezes well.

As I mentioned earlier, I make the chutney out of necessity as I can't get it locally, otherwise I would just buy it at the shops. But if you have a spare tin of mangoes in syrup handy, its certainly worth a go.

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 07:58 PM »
That looks great Naga. ;D ;)

Looks very much like one of my fav's -
Geeta's Premium Mango Chutney
Prominent Kalonji seeds and the Mango cooked until very soft.
I buy it in Squeasy bottles, as used in my Pathia Ama dish. Lush ;D

cheers Chewy

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 10:37 PM »
I always have Geeta's Mango chutney, which I find better, (for me that is)

I agree. Geeta's mango chutney is delicious - so much so that I've never been inclined to try any other brand.

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 09:50 AM »
That looks great Naga. ;D ;)

Looks very much like one of my fav's -
Geeta's Premium Mango Chutney

I thought that when I saw the photo. When my current jar runs out I'm definitely going to give this a go. Nice one Naga. Who says the forums dying  8)

©2024 Curry Recipes