Author Topic: 1960's Vindaloo recipe  (Read 8526 times)

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: 1960's Vindaloo recipe
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 07:53 PM »
Don't understand, Haldi.  What is the connection between whether or not something can be cooked at home and whether or not you can post a link to the recipe ?
** Phil.
I've posted the recipe several times on this site
here you go
all the way back to 2009
I have never got better or further than this point
I have talked, visited takeaways, experimented endlessly in the kitchen, bought every curry ebook, bought a tandoor, bought a genuine indian restaurant cooking hob, but to no avail.
You need the special oil, and you can't make this oil at home
So unfortunately you can't get the flavour you want
The BIR flavour is in the base
About 15 years back, a man who worked in a place I used to buy takeaway's from, called Tandoori Hut on Hucknall Road, told me that I would never be able to make the Gravy
I didn't understand why then
I know now

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,3637.0.html

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 07:17 PM »
Haldi,

Many thanks for posting link.

I am convinced I used too much of the oil per g onion having focused solely on the 50:50 old:new oil ratio.

Will try it again using 40 ml old oil per 750g onion.

I am certain my 2 nd fryer oil is good enough in fact too strong if too much of it used.

Many thanks for prompting the worth of a 2 nd try.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 07:46 AM »
asked at my local restaurant (goes back ~30 yrs) if they used bhaji or chip oil in the base. suggested that it would give perhaps a "cardboard" flavour.

the reply was definitely NO - only fresh oil in base.

interestingly i felt although it was a no in base it was not a resounding No ie not used in restaurant at all (next time might try and ask what happens to the old oil)

given jb report of oil and ghee mix and curry2go using "seasoned bhaji oil" - then perhaps adding in directly to the dish fry oil maybe the optimum way.

going to go ahead and try it out in base on my next go - feel i need to revisit given i mucked up last time i tried it.

©2024 Curry Recipes