Author Topic: Coriander  (Read 4794 times)

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Coriander
« on: July 17, 2014, 04:09 PM »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Coriander
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 04:44 PM »
"... grows best in an isolated bed where there is no competition.  A highly aggressive and competitive plant, Coriander always tries to hog the light, and would-be competitors are either forced out or have to adapt their behaviour so as never to overshadow their host.  Formerly a native of the U.K., Coriander is no longer found there (much to the relief of all native plants) and is now found only in the Antipodes, where brash abrasive behaviour is so much the norm that even Coriander's systematic elimination of all its adversaries attracts little comment.  Once thought to have quite miraculous properties, Coriander is now regarded as little more than an invasive weed, and anyone encountering a specimen would be well advised to make liberal use of Roundup or any other systemic weed killer."

From the Royal Hortiuncultural Society's 2014 handbook, republished with permission.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 04:56 PM »
CLASSIC!
I had to read that twice before the penny dropped, cheers!

:D :D :D

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 04:56 PM »
Hate the stuff ;D

Les

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 05:16 PM »
Good leaf size there D.O.

You need to cut and grow with that, you

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 05:16 PM »
"... grows best in an isolated bed where there is no competition.  A highly aggressive and competitive plant, Coriander always tries to hog the light, and would-be competitors are either forced out or have to adapt their behaviour so as never to overshadow their host.  Formerly a native of the U.K., Coriander is no longer found there (much to the relief of all native plants) and is now found only in the Antipodes, where brash abrasive behaviour is so much the norm that even Coriander's systematic elimination of all its adversaries attracts little comment.  Once thought to have quite miraculous properties, Coriander is now regarded as little more than an invasive weed, and anyone encountering a specimen would be well advised to make liberal use of Roundup or any other systemic weed killer."

From the Royal Hortiuncultural Society's 2014 handbook, republished with permission.

;D or should I say  ::)

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 05:19 PM »
Good leaf size there D.O.

You need to cut and grow with that, you

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 05:32 PM »
An open question
If you don't like Coriander, what BIR do you eat and or more curious actually cook.

CT, if I'm making curry I just leave it out, In a T/A (which is not very often, prefer chinese) I ask them not to put any coriander on the top, as long as I cant see, taste, smell it I'm ok.

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 07:59 PM »
D.O
Yes, just gather the top together and snip off about a third way down the plant
like trimming a hedge

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 08:15 PM »
Cheers CT, it'll be too much for tonight (IF you can ever have too much?!) but I guess I should straight away do that freeze-in-water thing?

Know what you mean about it being a prime herb too- I'd say coriander and onions are the two basic ingredients of any BIR really, in its component parts, regardles of the axshall dish. Just a thought.

Cheers the Chewy!

©2024 Curry Recipes