Author Topic: Chicken Mukhanwala - White Sauce  (Read 3195 times)

Offline Bungle1

• Chef
    • View Profile
Chicken Mukhanwala - White Sauce
« on: July 19, 2014, 05:49 PM »
This is my first post, I've enjoyed recipes from this forum but this one has had me scratching my head so much for quite some time I thought I'd best ask for some help. I can't find anything even remotely sounding like it. When you search for Chicken Mukhanwala it tends to bring up Butter Chicken recipes and this is definitely not like Butter Chicken recipes I've ever tasted. Similarly I've never seen it on any other menus but it's delicious so trying to find a way to replicate it.

I would say it's defining characteristic is the colour as it's a thick white sauce and the marinade really coming through in the chicken. If anyone can help that would be great.

The menu from the restaurant describes it as:
Pieces of chicken marinated overnight in a sauce of ginger, garlic, lime juice, yogurt and other spices, cooked in a clay oven, simmer with creamy sauce of almond and coconut powder (very mild)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Mukhanwala - White Sauce
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 11:29 PM »
Sounds like chicken tikka in korma sauce to me - but that seems too obvious.  ???

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 11:44 PM »
The menu from the restaurant describes it as:
Pieces of chicken marinated overnight in a sauce of ginger, garlic, lime juice, yogurt and other spices, cooked in a clay oven, simmer with creamy sauce of almond and coconut powder (very mild)

Welcome to the forum, and with such an interesting first post, too.

My guess would be that the marinaded chicken might be cooked in the tandoor in a similar way to tikka.
Do the pieces of chicken have 'burn' marks?

As for the sauce, if eaten on its own, is it like chicken korma sauce from the same restaurant, or different?

Offline Bungle1

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 06:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies - it's not like a Korma sauce either - thicker I would say and completely white.

Offline rshome123

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 07:45 PM »
Could it be cashews?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 08:32 PM »
Thanks for the replies - it's not like a Korma sauce either - thicker I would say and completely white.

If it's completely white then it has no base sauce in it. It'll be some combination of yoghurt, coconut milk and cream. The taste in this case should give it away. And as rshome says some form of nut powder or puree (cashew, almond) would finish and thicken it.

(Edit: I just read back and saw you posted this: "simmer with creamy sauce of almond and coconut powder (very mild)" )....well d'uh (on my part  ;D)... it is what it says then.

A case for experimentation I think. What are the predominant flavours?)

Offline Bungle1

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 05:05 PM »
Thanks all - any idea on some ratios to try if going down the yoghurt, coconut milk, cream route?  I don't think I've ever made a curry that didn't have base in it!

©2024 Curry Recipes