• January 19, 2019, 01:03 AM
Welcome, guest! Please login or register.
collapse

* RGBD

Author Topic: Jb's takeaway base gravy  (Read 173439 times)

Offline mak

• Chef
Re: Jb's takeaway base gravy
« Reply #480 on: May 02, 2018, 01:53 PM »
Gotcha. I'm doing a bit of a cook today. I've taken that on board.

How did you get on with this method of cooking the garlic livo? Think I will give it a whirl.

Online livo

• Elite Curry Master
« Reply #481 on: May 02, 2018, 10:07 PM »
Mak, I found that I was already giving the garlic a pretty good cook anyway so I didn't need to adjust my timing much. I guess the point is to reach the spot where you don't want to risk burnt garlic.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 11:47 PM by livo »
Whiskey is the answer, but what was the question?

Online daveyham

• Chef
« Reply #482 on: May 03, 2018, 06:39 PM »
My tarka Dal went from being ok to lush when I took the garlic slices to almost but not quite burnt.

Online daveyham

• Chef
« Reply #483 on: May 03, 2018, 06:46 PM »
I believe it's the Malliard affect. "The flavour you cannot buy".
White bread tastes of white bread, toast on the other hand taste's of toast. Nothing added except heat.
Does this make sense.

Offline zikomo

• Trainee Chef
« Reply #484 on: October 17, 2018, 12:33 PM »
Hi All Curry enthusiasts,

I live in Central Africa and here I cant seem to find the coconut block. What is the right alternative to use? coconut milk? cream? powder? etc. I'm a bit lost and I really want to try and make this base as I'm missing good-old blighty.

Thanks

Offline Sverige

• Spice God
  • Ding Dong!!
« Reply #485 on: October 17, 2018, 03:15 PM »
Hi Zikomo,

You could safely add any of the substitutions you mentioned, or omit the coconut entirely - it's far from necessary in this or any other base sauce recipe. If you were cooking a chicken Ceylon curry then yeah, you need some coconut flavour from somewhere, but for a base gravy the most Important flavours are very well boiled onions and turmeric. Other additions like carrots, red peppers, tomato, garlic and spices only add small changes to the flavour.

Most of the flavour in your finished curry will come from the garlic, ginger, spices and tomato paste you fry at the beginning of the dish. The base gravy will just be adding bulk to the sauce. Don't get too hung up on trying to replicate exact ingredients in a base recipe. Most important is that it's mostly comprised of onions, has turmeric in, and is cooked for long enough to give a mild flavour without a harsh bitter onion taste.

Online livo

• Elite Curry Master
« Reply #486 on: October 17, 2018, 09:37 PM »
Solid advice. Non critical ingredient and can be from any form of coconut.
Whiskey is the answer, but what was the question?

You may like these posts on curry-recipes.co.uk: