Author Topic: SP Gas Tandoor Naan Recipe  (Read 23784 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: SP Gas Tandoor Naan Recipe
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2014, 09:32 PM »
Sp

Journey end for me sir.

I've messed with naan off and on since the KD1 book. They have been ok but well short of even TA. The h4ppy-chris and I think CBM (turn the tarva over) took me up a league.

The trip to timperly hilal reminded me of what I miss from the midlands - top notch naan.

This recipe of yours is a 10 for me. I am well pleased. The chewytikka photo said it all.

The only thing I can do better is to say - sorry no photo - eaten before even thought of taking pic.

Recipe made 5 off with a 4 hr sitting.

Really really chuffed - many thanks

jerry

Offline rshome123

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2014, 09:46 PM »
Hi Jerry,  I know you don't have a tandoor oven... What cooking technique did you use. Apologies if  this horse has overlooked drinking the water on this subject.

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2014, 10:07 PM »
excellent news, glad to be of service  :)

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2014, 07:35 AM »
Gonna give this a try. Quite a good surprise to find not just a recipe, but one which seems to be worth a go. Just when I was thinking this place was just for arguments :thumbsup:

Question:

"Cover and leave in fridge for 4 hours (or overnight if time permits), divide, roll lightly in sr flour and shape into balls.

Flatten using hands or rolling pin, flatten and shape further by passing from one hand to the other (think how pizzas are made) and put on gaddi."

Is there a particular time gap to keep in mind between taking the dough out of the fridge and cooking the naan? I mean do you make the balls and leave them to warm up or rise first?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2014, 10:26 PM »
Rsholme123,

I used the same method h4ppy-chris shows in his video. Ive used this method since.

In short you need tarva. Heat till hot, wet naan with water, press onto tarva (particularly around edge), turn tarva over when you smell burn. Try to brown not burn top surface.

The video really does tell all.

You do need to practises at it though to get it right.

Sverige,

I did not put the dough in the fridge. No need if leaving for the 4 hrs. If going over night then yes fridge and take out 2 hrs before making. Self raising flour does not rise  like yeast - only when heated.

Offline rshome123

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2014, 10:31 PM »
Jerry,

Thanks for the reply... I use the HC tava technique also, combined with the home made Naan pad, consisting of tea towel (has to be chequered for authenticity) stuffed with old cloth.  ;)

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2014, 08:07 AM »
Thanks for the recipe, my Nan quest is over, these are perfect and so easy to make

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2014, 05:56 PM »
You're all more than welcome, thanks for the positive feedback  :)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2014, 04:30 PM »
A bit later than I had intended (and better late than never!), but at last I got around to making SP's naans.

Just plain, buttered breads which wouldn't win any beauty contest compared to some of the naans posted here these days, but they were really nice with a good texture that I've never replicated before.

Using SP's suggested ingredient quantities resulted in 4 naans. I used a 23cm tawa over the biggest flame on the cooker and just transferred the dough to the pan with my hands, rather than a gaddi pad.

I probably have to play around with the temperatures to finesse the cooking time and improve the appearance of the naans, but I'm very happy with the texture and taste of my first attempt at this recipe.

Thanks again to SP for writing this one up and posting it here.

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2014, 07:28 PM »
Hi naga I use this as my standard now and on my tawa also, put the gas high for 1 minute then on low and just cook the nans on it, I brush Garlic and butter paste on it before I flip it over, delicious

©2024 Curry Recipes