Author Topic: SP Gas Tandoor Naan Recipe  (Read 23788 times)

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
SP Gas Tandoor Naan Recipe
« on: July 31, 2014, 09:41 PM »
First of all, this is my initial naan recipe based on an ingredient list (no measurements were given) and guidance/tips I was given by one of the chefs at the BIR where I work.  Some of you may be familiar with my previous musings and experiments but recently the opportunity to volunteer to work in a BIR kitchen, something which is a real passion and a lifelong dream, came through.

For this recipe you really need a gas-fired tandoor or another method to get up to the 300c required.

• 300g of self raising flour, I used tesco value but the BIR uses Elephant Atta self-raising, note that there is no baking powder, soda or yeast added.
  • 1 egg
  • 175ml milk
  • 0.5 tsp salt
  • 0.5 tsp sugar

Lightly mix them all together in a stand mixer using a paddle until combined, then switch to a dough hook and knead until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl.  Cover and leave in fridge for 4 hours (or overnight if time permits), divide, roll lightly in sr flour and shape into balls.

Flatten using hands or rolling pin, flatten and shape further by passing from one hand to the other (think how pizzas are made) and put on gaddi.  If you are using a gaddi (naan pad) you dont need to oil a side, this is only to stop it sticking to your hands.  Lightly dampen the "wall" side with water and cook in 300c tandoor, then finish off by brushing with melted butter.

Any questions please feel free to ask.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 10:33 PM by sp »

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: SP Gas Tandoor Naan Recipe
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 09:42 PM »
My Puri Tandoor

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 09:43 PM »
Naan Dough Balls

the white stuff at the bottom of the tin is cooking spray to stop it sticking, alternatively the dough balls could be rolled in sr flour; i had the cooking spray to hand so used that, it makes no difference

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 09:44 PM »
The Finished Article...

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 10:12 PM »
Feelin' hot....hot...hot....

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 10:28 PM »
another one...

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 10:35 AM »
Great pics sp, I'd love to have a tandoor but not very practical living in a flat. These look 100% BIR, how did you find the taste were you happy with them? Do you know what they add to make peshwari naan where you volunteered?

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 04:53 PM »
Missed this  :'(
Splendid looking naans SP

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 05:28 PM »
Look briliant, sp. As I live in a flat (not the same one as Stephen), I can't have one either.

Hope you have fun  :)

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 08:10 PM »
Thanks guys, less arsing about with this method and gives a better taste (although I probably would say that  ::)), my main criticism of the h4ppynaans was the overly sweet taste no matter how little sugar I put in

Anyhoo, to answer the question - peshwari - sultanas, chopped cashew nuts, cream and coconut block (or pataks creamed coconut is what i use).  If you want the filling pink coloured, add a touch of red food colouring to your coconut.  Roll the uncooked naan dough out, then smear your softened creamed coconut (hand heat is enough to melt it) over the dough like you're doing the pasatta layer of a pizza base.  Sprinkle your cashew nuts and sultanas over, fold the dough up by the edges into a little pocket, and roll out again... very important to now dimple the rolled-out dough with your fingertips to press out the air, otherwise the dough will burst and the filling will spill out.  Cook as normal.

Garlic & Coriander naan - cook the naan, brush a mixture of garlic puree (they use big jars of minced garlic you can see in one of my photos), oil, yellow food colouring and touch of salt over the cooked naan, and sprinkle with finely chopped coriander.

Keema naan - follow the peshwari prep method but use keema mince instead of peshwari mixture (keema is minced beef cooked with green chillies, a touch of red food colouring and garlic & ginger paste)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 08:56 PM by sp »

©2024 Curry Recipes