Author Topic: SP Gas Tandoor Naan Recipe  (Read 23502 times)

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: SP Gas Tandoor Naan Recipe
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2014, 07:43 PM »
My question is what is the type of cheese used here?

they just used a big block of mild, coloured cheddar, the big catering sized blocks, grated and sprinkled onto the cooked naan, then used a gas tap-off the tandoor like a flamethrower to melt it... health & safety exec would probably have a fit!  ;D

for home use, a little cooks blowtorch would do just as well

hope thats useful

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2014, 07:47 PM »
I noticed in the video that chef applied a spread of creamy cheese into this one before adding the other ingredients and refolding the dough.

in the video i posted above it's not cream cheese that's being spread, its creamed coconut paste (either pre-creamed coconut block, like pataks creamed coconut sachets, or you can make your own with coconut flour and mixed with a little bit of single cream)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2014, 07:54 PM »
ty SP great vid and glad to see you are one of the 45!

Ok, I seem to be missing something here  :(  Would someone put me out of my misery  :)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2014, 07:57 PM »
I missed it too.

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2014, 07:59 PM »
Anyhoo - Question: When they taught you to make restaurant size dough,
can you remember how many eggs to flour they used. Example: 4 kilo flour - 20 Eggs etc...

thanks for your kind words CT, in answer to your question the bowl (as shown in the photos) would be filled with flour, maybe 2kg at a guess, from the great big sacks of self raising (elephant atta brand).  to this they would add about half a pint of milk, between 3 and 4 eggs depending on size, a tablespoon of granulated sugar and a small handful of salt.  it was really done by eye, no weighing, no measuring, i just watched them put the ingredients in and i did the mixing of the dough.  sorry my recipes don't have any specific measurements, i just took brief notes of the ingredients used (unless there was something really unusual in the ratio of one ingredient compared to another) and methods

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2014, 08:01 PM »
ty SP great vid and glad to see you are one of the 45!

Ok, I seem to be missing something here  :(  Would someone put me out of my misery  :)

the 45 thing?  it's to do with the scottish referendum, i was one of the 45% of voters who voted that scotland should be an independent country

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2014, 08:10 PM »
Sparking Memories - I spent a month in Inverness, back in 93 and couldn

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2014, 08:50 PM »

they just used a big block of mild, coloured cheddar, the big catering sized blocks, grated and sprinkled onto the cooked naan, then used a gas tap-off the tandoor like a flamethrower to melt it... health & safety exec would probably have a fit!  ;D

for home use, a little cooks blowtorch would do just as well

hope thats useful

So with this method, which I assume is for a Cheese Naan (or other name), I take it that the cheese is sprinkled then melted on top of the naan with a flame gun. Am I correct?

The Cheese naan we get out here actually has the cheese spread out inside it in a similar way to how the video shows the Peshwari being done. I have only been able to find 1 video (Indian in Parsi) that showed anything like it and I couldn't get the type of cheese from it.  I can't remember where I saw the Laughing Cow but again it wasn't in English.

In my earliest attempts I used to make 2 thin naan spread the cheese out and sandwich it before cooking but I have since tried the single method as shown.  this works well but I just can't get the right type of cheese.  Cheddary in flavour, but quite strong (but not like vintage or tasty cheese strong) and obviously creamy enough to be spread in a similar way the video shows the coconut paste being applied.

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2014, 11:10 PM »
So with this method, which I assume is for a Cheese Naan (or other name), I take it that the cheese is sprinkled then melted on top of the naan with a flame gun. Am I correct?

spot on, exactly.  i think i've still got a video of a chappati being cooked, you can see the flamethrower on there

Cheddary in flavour, but quite strong (but not like vintage or tasty cheese strong) and obviously creamy enough to be spread in a similar way the video shows the coconut paste being applied.

I haven't seen or eaten that type of naan before, but from your description I'd be thinking along the lines of dairylea spreadable but with more of a cheesy flavour.  Seriously Strong spreadable perhaps, or an own-brand or value-brand spreadable cheese?

How about some of these possibilities, but on reflection they might be on the too-fancy side for a typical BIR?

http://www.cheese.com/by_texture/?t=creamy&t=smooth&t=spreadable

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2014, 12:42 AM »
I'd think any cheap chedder, or even none cheese slices or the Oz equivalent, would do the job.

Cool and genuine reply about the Naan making SP, spot on in fact. ;)
Your description is exactly what I know and would expect.
The guys I know, either mix it directly in the sink or the 20lt pots they use for rice etc

©2024 Curry Recipes