Author Topic: NOTHING BEATS THIS BASIC CURRY RECIPE A+++  (Read 9928 times)

Offline curryman

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
NOTHING BEATS THIS BASIC CURRY RECIPE A+++
« on: November 02, 2006, 07:55 PM »
I have tried to make a perfect curry for years and i have finally been able to make this amazing recipe that will blow your mind away

heres the recipe

6lb peeled and roughly chopped onions
6oz fresh ginger(iff using power 2oz ginger.)
6oz fresh pureed garlic (2 oz iff using garlic powder)
2pts chicken stock
1tsp salt
1 tin chopped tomatoes
8 tablespoons veggie oil
1 tube tomato puree
2tsp tumeric
2 tsp paprika
in a food proccesor blend the onions down to a paste, then add them into a large pan with the rest of the above ingridents, bring to the boil, simmer VERY slowly and keep blending some of the mixture, returning it to the pan, stirring and blending some more. the more you do this, the smoother your curry will be. keep this up for approx. 45 minutes, stirring often making sure the sauce does not burn on the bottom of the pan. on to stage 2....

10 tbls veggie oil
4 tsp's salt
3-4 tsp's chilli powder
8 teaspoons garam masala
4 tsp's ground cumin
1/2 tsp of fenugreek
half a jif of lemon juice

mix the above 7 ingridents in a frying pan and fry out slowly for about 3 minutes to release the taste of spices. mix the fried spices to the blended mix and continue simmering VERY slowly and continuing with the blender simmer for about 20-25 minutes before adding corriander. IMPORTANT: if any scum appears on the surface, around the edge..spoon it away, this gives the sauce a more bitter taste. this doesnt always happen it depends on the onions. finally...mix 1 1/4 tsp's dried finley chopped coriander and stir all that for about 1 minute ,

AND YOUR ALL DONE

most key part is dont skimp on the oil! it helps inbrace the flavors!! this is a big recipe iff you would want to make half of it go for it...

have a good 1 yall.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: NOTHING BEATS THIS BASIC CURRY RECIPE A+++
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 08:20 PM »
This is very much like Kd's & other recipes on this forum, if you came to this recipe all by yourself well done mate ;)

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 06:50 AM »
Isnt this a curry base recipe?

Offline mistress of spices

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 09:45 AM »
please please boys stop putting stock in every curry base & what is this obsession with
fenugreek :o. not all recpies need it. Just brown the meat with 1tsp garam masala & 1/2 tsp salt. You will get plenty of lovely juices of the meat. Scoop the meat out and use the liquid when the onions etc start to brown. Veg oil might be gentle on your arteries but too much can be a great laxative ;) just go gentle with it.

Offline currygit

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 11:13 AM »
Yes, why use stock.  I asked the lads up in Bold Street (Liverpool), they have been around for years and they could not see why you would use stock except in a base.  Is this something the forum have come up with or is it a real secret?  By the way they will not give me any secrets  :(, tough

CurryGit

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 01:19 PM »
I use Fenugreek in a large amount of my recipes just as a habit i suppose.
The stock ..well i have found that extra flavor from the water you cook your chicken in makes a nice added taste to my own dishes, its all personal i suppose but hey it works for me & all my work mates ;D

Offline mistress of spices

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 02:17 PM »
but don't you find that all the curry's taste the same, fenugreek has a very overpowering flavor. Trust me guys I am a born & brought up Punjabi + I run a very successful (touchwood)curry business in Europe ;D & I am very fond of you all ::)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 02:19 PM by mistress of spices »

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 03:55 PM »
I think dried methi leaf is key to all onion sauce based curries (I mean not kids curries like korma), the best bases Ive seen have it and the first hand BIR demos I have seen all have it in the final stage

Offline currygit

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 04:00 PM »
I know for a fact that most people of Indian Asian origin do not care for dried methi leaves.  BIRs use it to give a so called BIR smell.  I have a Gujerati (sp?) friend who uses a lot of fresh Methi and she says its use is regional mainlt gujerati, maharati and bangaldeshi.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 04:21 PM »
Funny you say that, in a post many Moons ago i mentioned that in a Recipe Book it stated that Fenugreek was part of the Bir Smell (true or not i don't know). ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes