Author Topic: Star Anise  (Read 6957 times)

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Star Anise
« on: August 24, 2014, 06:46 PM »
Does anyone use star anise powder in madras, if so how much.

London.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Star Anise
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 08:10 PM »
Have never seen the ground powder although somebody posted about a restaurant chef grinding his own and adding a touch, just like garama masala at the end of the cooking.
But i have used whole star anise in my madras:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,8786.msg78408.html#msg78408

I have also read of others trying it too and reporting positive resuts thereafter  :D

I think it adds  a good flavour providing it isn't overdone.

Finally, this post may have been better placed in the BIR Main Dishes chat section rather than the recipe section  ;). Perhaps George will housekeep it

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 08:53 PM »
Does anyone use star anise powder in madras ?

No (at least, I don't), but I always use it (whole) in pulao rice.  It was my wife who identified it as the missing element, and since then my pulao has always been spot on.

** Phil.

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 09:19 PM »
CH,

I've tried using whole star anise and for me the taste didn't come through enough. The last time I was in my favorite Asian super market i saw ground star anise and thought it might give a bit more Taste. Maybe I'll Start with a quarter of a teaspoon and go from there.

George if I've posted this in the wrong place please feel free to move to the right place.

London

littlechilie

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 10:35 PM »
Hi London I can add that I purchased and ate a fantastic madras one evening after work. The curry contained a whole star anise hidden in its depths  ??? But I'm quite sure this came from the base gravy they used to create the dish.
The dish was heavy with the illusive BIR flavour we all search for.

Hope this helps.

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 09:57 AM »
Hi
I've had in the Birmingham area what I term a "wet balti" with whole Star A, C bark, A bay, green cardamon and even a little piece of dried orange peel. On tasting it was the ground GM that gave the flavours and they were there just for show. I looked at my friend and asked about people eating them and she said Asian people eat with there eyes open and don't just shove it down there mouths.
Regards

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 10:08 AM »
I use star anise in my Madras recipe, at the start it is fried with the onion then removed before other ingredients are added, I also use it in my rice

littlechilie

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 10:12 AM »
Yep I second that MA use it in my rice also.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 10:30 PM »
I add to all dish via chef garam. I see it as important spice and essentially -as a quad not trio of spice.

Don't see it as an individual spice for madras.

Quite intriguing commis words. I've wrestled with adding in whole spice at dish fry but never got to it (do BIR really pick them out before serving, never had BIR with them in). I know it's real hard to get whole spice into the curry and suppose I've doubted the effect at dish fry - it takes time for the flavour to be taken on board.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 12:51 AM »
Finally, this post may have been better placed in the BIR Main Dishes chat section rather than the recipe section  ;). Perhaps George will housekeep it

Good idea! I assume you mean the whole thread rather than just your post, so I moved the thread.

©2024 Curry Recipes