Author Topic: CA's Chicken Jalfrezi, Chicken Tikka Masala and Pilau Rice  (Read 6562 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
CA's Chicken Jalfrezi, Chicken Tikka Masala and Pilau Rice
« on: November 04, 2006, 03:13 PM »
Sorry to be boring, but here is a photo of my Chicken Jalfrezi, Chicken Tikka Masala (CTM) and Pliau Rice (for me!) that I made and scoffed tonight.  It was damned good!   ;)

For the CTM, I used 1.5 tbsp of garlic powder!  It worked wonders, and really gave the dish a BIR smell.  It also made the house smell like a BIR restaurant!

For the Chicken Jalfrezi, I used loads of onions, fresh garlic and green peppers, but no fresh chillis (this time!)!

For the Pilau Rice, I added a touch of green food coluring, which looks quite nice I think?  Recipe here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1383.0

Who cares!  It tasted great!  ;)

« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 04:38 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: My Chicken Jalfrezi, Chicken Tikka Masala and Pilau Rice
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 03:21 PM »
And another one (for my wife!):
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 03:35 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 03:53 PM »
For the CTM, I used 1.5 tbsp of garlic powder! 
Bloody el! was that in a portion for 1?

When did you add it?

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 04:09 PM »
Cory its not boring at all, I think pictures are required every so often to help others crack the looks!  And it looks like the right amount of Garlic powder.  Second piccie doesn't work.  Try using some ginger powder to enhance the Garlic; you dont need much and you should reduce the amount of chilli accordingly as the two (garlic & Ginger powders) when combined produce quite a fiery taste, which is why they are used a lot in Vindaloos by some BIRs.

CP

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 04:30 PM »
Hi Mark J,

No Mark.......that was enough for 4 servings. :P

I added the garlic powder right at the start, together with fresh tomatoes.  Try it!  It makes your fingers stink, your clothes stink, your house stink.....wonderful!   ;D

I notice that there's a debate going on, in another thread, about the use of powdered garlic.  I believe garlic, in it's various forms (i.e. powdered and pre-bottled purees, besides fresh) is a (if not THE) key ingredient needed to create that BIR taste and smell (fenugreek, imho, would be a close second).

You know when you've got it right when the garlic smell seeps out of your pores for the next couple of days!  Oh, smell my skin!  Eu de garlic perfume! ;)  ;D
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 03:56 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 04:34 PM »
Great pictures Cory
The Jalfrezi looks absoluteley spot on nice colour + texture your rice isn't to over coloured either I'm very impressed Well Done :P

Keep the pictures coming as CP has said it's helping other members achieve the right results great stuff :)
Layne.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 04:36 PM »
...Second piccie doesn't work....

Do you mean that the photo won't load CP?  It loads OK for me?

....Try using some ginger powder to enhance the Garlic; you dont need much and you should reduce the amount of chilli accordingly as the two (garlic & Ginger powders) when combined produce quite a fiery taste, which is why they are used a lot in Vindaloos by some BIRs.

Yes, thanks CP.  I agree.  I did use only fresh ginger on this occasion, but I agree that powdered ginger may compliment the garlic powder and add to the taste.  I never used any chilli powder in this recipe...being a CTM....but I take your point..garlic and ginger are quite hot in their own right.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 03:03 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 04:43 PM »
...The Jalfrezi looks absoluteley spot on...

Yeah!  Thanks Layne!  The only thing I can't work out is where the whole green pepper and the three coarsely chopped onions disappeared to (looking at the photos!)! 

Damn!  Perhaps I cooked the crap out of them then!  ;D

Plus I'm adding fresh chillis next time...oh yes!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 04:46 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 05:44 PM »
...The Jalfrezi looks absoluteley spot on...

Yeah!  Thanks Layne!  The only thing I can't work out is where the whole green pepper and the three coarsely chopped onions disappeared to (looking at the photos!)! 

Damn!  Perhaps I cooked the crap out of them then!  ;D

Plus I'm adding fresh chillis next time...oh yes!

Piccie loads OK now, I think it was a problem with IE7. 

Here's a tip BIR style.  It is difficult to match BIR process because of the stir fry nature of this dish.  In fact style-wise it really should be like a Bhuna, i.e very little or no sauce (it is supposed to the asian equivalent of bubble & squeak, i.e. it means left-overs I am told.

Try frying slices of onions, juilennes of garlic chillies and  ginger in a separate pan with lots of oil, add a bit of salt and crushed black pepper, some dessicated coconut.  You can throw in some Methi leaves if you wish. 

Fry for about 1 - 11/2 minutes to keep every thing crisp. Now add some soft fresh tomatoes cut in wedges.  Fry for about 30 seconds.  Combine with your Jalfezi sauce and stir fry for a few seconds.  This is a method I have developed for my Biz and it works well and is BIR correct vis taste & looks & smell.

I know Jalfrezi varies from Bir to Bir and region to region, but this was the original syle for this dish when it first appeared on the scene.

CP

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 06:19 PM »
I believe garlic, in it's various forms (i.e. powdered and pre-bottled purees, besides fresh) is a (if not THE) key ingredient needed to create that BIR taste and smell (fenugreek, imho, would be a close second).
I'm of the same opinion

©2024 Curry Recipes