Author Topic: Frying onions  (Read 6265 times)

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Frying onions
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 05:45 PM »
It would most likely be a catering pan which have a thicker bottom. Saying that I've caught loads of stuff on the bottom of one due to distractions. At least your sorted.  :)

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 09:28 PM »
Hi Ader, is it possible the chef you watched added some salt, perhaps without you even noticing? This would promote the onions breaking down quicker and might explain why you can't replicate what he did (if you're not adding salt at home)

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 10:03 AM »
Hi Ader, is it possible the chef you watched added some salt, perhaps without you even noticing? This would promote the onions breaking down quicker and might explain why you can't replicate what he did (if you're not adding salt at home)

It did work better yesterday.  And the curry I made was liked by all the family.  In fact, I wanted it for this eveing but it's almost all gone with one sister and her son paying a visit and helping themselves too.  But it gives me pleasure to have people like what I make.  But it's interesting what you said because coming to think of it, I do add salt at a later stage than what he (the Bangladeshi chef) did.  Will change this next time.  Thank you.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 12:09 PM »
Add a teaspoon of sugar with plenty of oil to your finely sliced onions. Put the lid on and cook on medium. Check and stir now and again so nothing is catching.They should melt within 20 mins.
The oil can be decanted when cooked.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 01:32 AM »

©2024 Curry Recipes