Author Topic: BIR cooking method  (Read 23232 times)

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
BIR cooking method
« on: September 05, 2014, 02:32 PM »
Hi All  ;D
This post should help those who are a bit lost as to the basic technique used in many Birs
When learned it will produce a good curry using a good base and spices

Notes on technique: Baghar and Bhunao

Baghar, Tadka or Chonk (instant flavoring or Tempering)

This is one technique that is fairly unique to Indian cooking, whole spices are dropped into oil to infuse. this technique is called Baghar, Tadka or Chonk.

1. Heat oil quite hot but not so hot that it starts to smoke and then drop in whole spices which then release their flavors into the oil.
 2. Larger harder spices like stick cinnamon, and star anise can be added first. (stir constantly)
 3. Once the larger spices have started to swell and and change color. (stir constantly)
 4. cardamom can be added, and shortly thereafter (stir constantly)
 5. Smaller spices like fennel seed, cumin or coriander seed can be added last and will only cook for 30 seconds depending on the heat of the oil. (stir constantly)
 6. Stir constantly until the smallest spices are fragrant and have darkened in color.
 7. Remove from heat.

The purpose of this technique is twofold, to infuse the oil with as much of the flavor from the spices as possible, and to toast and brown the spices themselves which will further develop new flavors in the spices which will infuse the oil.

When baghar (translated as instant flavorings or tempering) is performed correctly there is a physical change in the spices, they will become toasted and more brown, dry spices will uncurl and expand slightly, and the smell will change from a raw spice flavor to a more intense toasted flavor.

Remember to heat your oil before adding your spices, add from the most hardy to the smallest spices, wait for the color change and smell change before moving on in the recipe.

This technique can be used in two different ways, either use the oil in the pan to cook other ingredients or to pour the oil over a completed dish to add another kick of flavor at the end.

Bhunao (sautee)
 This is not a French sautee, although it is similar up to a point. Almost all curries and thick sauce dishes use this method of cooking at one point or another. To develop a great Indian sauce this technique is paramount!

1. Oil or ghee is heated in a frying pan (sometimes Baghar(see above) is performed to flavor the oil first). Then wet ingredients are added, it could be vegetables or marinated meat.

2. These ingredients are then cooked over a hot flame to reduce to a thick paste. stir occasionally to keep the ingredients mixed and heating evenly.

3. Once its lost almost all of it's liquid, you can reduce the heat to medium or medium high. Stirring every so often and allowing the paste to lightly stick to the bottom of the pan, then scraping it off with a spatula.

4. Once it begins to stick so much that you can't lightly scrape it off you drop a few tablespoons of liquid ( This is where the base is used) into the pot until the stuck parts will dissolve while you mix and scrape them (deglazing the stuck on foods)

5. This is then mixed into the rest of the paste and you then let the excess liquid evaporate.

6. Repeat the sticking and deglazing 3-4 times.

The real key is to let it stick a little bit and actually brown, just like you let meat brown to get that delicious brown outer crust. The more times you repeat this process and the deeper the browning the more deep and flavorful your paste will become. Just don't let it burn!

This can be done with any liquid that is being added to be pot such as tomato puree, broth or water.

For the record
 The browning and maturing of the spices in the Baghar process as well as the browning of the vegetables and marinades are both a result of a Maillard reaction, named after the chemist Louis-Camille Maillard. This process is  a very complicated synthesis of organic flavor compounds created by the reaction of sugars with amino acids. They form a vast array of flavor compounds that as of yet haven't been adequately studied. However, they taste... awesome.

This method should help to understand the uses of a base
All free as well ;)

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: BIR cooking method
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 02:44 PM »
All free aswell
Very generous  ;), just how a forum should be, sharing info for free
Thankyou mr Ox
Great post though, a lot of time and effort gone in to writing that one.  :)
Should be useful to a few people especially the newer members

littlechilie

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 03:33 PM »
Thank you Mr Ox, that is a very well explained and well written information. The use of these methods will make such a difference to the overall taste and smell of a curry!

Finding the right combinations for the right curry is important here, and not throwing everything in to one pan as you explained.

Many thanks.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 03:52 PM »
Hi Mr Ox, is this taken from your own blog?
If so, are you the jolly green giant?  :D

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 03:57 PM »
Hi All  ;D
This post should help those who are a bit lost as to the basic technique used in many Birs
All free as well ;)
Well copied OX, I thought this text must have come from some of your elusive 400 BIR Ebooks
But no, a straight copy and paste lift, from a bloggers page - here.
http://whiteycooksindian.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/notes-on-technique-baghar-and-bhunao.html
If your going to pretend to know the art and share, at least you could try and re-write it first.  ::)

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 04:03 PM »
Haha you missed the next paragraph-

Notes for food nerds

;)

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 04:35 PM »
There's the comment on the bottom from Goncalo who used to frequent here then went over to the schoolhouse then disappeared.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 05:15 PM »
And what a loss Goncalo is...... ;)

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 05:18 PM »
And what a loss Goncalo is...... ;)
Ah yes, I remember your constructive criticism.  ;)

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 06:17 PM »
I never claimed it was my own work :o I altered some words so as not to annoy the writer
It is a good lesson and works to improve our currys etc
So good it should be here for all to use
Some members like to keep things for there own reasons.Its been on the web for some time now its here
So please no more tug-nut throwing chimps  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes