Author Topic: 2-3 years in India - Would you go?  (Read 2424 times)

Offline Geezah

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
2-3 years in India - Would you go?
« on: September 14, 2014, 10:33 PM »
I have been fortunate in the last 2 years to have 4 working trips to India which I have thoroughly enjoyed.
Recently there was an internal job vacancies email which was for 2-3 years secondment to Jaipur, India.
I have applied, and I have an interview on tuesday, but as the wife and kids wont travel with me, its a tough decision if I get offered a placement.

What would you do?

(p.s I'm not going to make my choice based upon your decisions. My choice will be purely based upon salary)

Could you do it, I mean really spend 2-3 years away from your family with only 3-4 trips back home?
46c heat in summer?
Sandstorms?
Loneliness?

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: 2-3 years in India - Would you go?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 06:55 AM »
It is very similar to the decision that my wife took to accept a position with Etihad airlines in Abu Dhabi two and a half years ago.  We talk every night on Skype (with video) and the separation works fine, although she is now looking for alternatives back in the U.K.  For myself, I would be guided more by whether I wanted to work in India for two to three years than by the salary offered.

** Phil.

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 10:22 AM »
That's a really hard and awkward question with obviously many personal factors involved. The problem I find when I've worked away (and only for a month at a time) is that the novelty factor sharply wears off and I can't wait to get back home.

Offline vinders

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 11:09 AM »
This is indeed a tough question and a lot will depend on the individual and family circumstances. I've had to do this with my partner and child between France and the UK. We've tended to see each other every two months and have found that quite difficult.

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 04:27 PM »
Although I would love to work in India I could not leave my wife and 5 year old daughter for that amount of time, I would simply miss them far too much to make it worthwhile

Offline Geezah

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 09:14 PM »
Well, I had my interview today and it went really well.
It's a fantastic opportunity with great rewards and after deep talks with SWMBO it looks like it could be a goer if I get called for the next interview :)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 09:24 PM »
Nice one Geez. Glad it went well. Still a tricky decision though. Good luck whatever the outcome is :)

©2024 Curry Recipes